sudden death of hen (death photos included)

Stefankeyes

Songster
Nov 6, 2021
I had a pet welsummer. she was a pet and not so much a farm bird. i incubated them and raised them by hand. unfort on Tuesday i went to go around my daily choirs with them and found my welsummer dead laying in her coop. she was only 1 year 5 months old. she didnt have any symptons of avaian flu. i think she may have been egg bound without me realizing. my other hen in the coop was a persistent egg layer but noticed she hadnt laid for a few days before death. the last time i seen her alive she seemed to have puffed up feathers looking larger than normal. ill POST a pic of both when she seemed large and when she was deceased, maybe you have some ideas if its avian flu or egg bound?

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-04-22 at 02.43.42.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-04-22 at 02.43.42.jpg
    815.9 KB · Views: 40
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-04-22 at 02.43.421.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-04-22 at 02.43.421.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 27
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-04-22 at 02.43.422.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-04-22 at 02.43.422.jpg
    328.4 KB · Views: 26
Try checking to see if she was egg bound.

unfort shes with vets now due to be cremated so im unable to personally check. she sat in our fridge from Tuesday until today, but didn't have the emotional capacity to check for myself. since to me my hens are my therapy animals instead of farm ones. i did notice however. the side of the coop she slept at had no feces at all. while my other hens side had quite a lot of droppings

unfort shes with vets now due to be cremated so im unable to personally check. she sat in our fridge from Tuesday until today, but didn't have the emotional capacity to check for myself. since to me my hens are my therapy animals instead of farm ones. i did notice however. the side of the coop she slept at had no feces at all. while my other hens side had quite a lot of droppings
Then I'd venture to say that she was probably egg bound. Sorry for your loss!

I had a pet welsummer. she was a pet and not so much a farm bird. i incubated them and raised them by hand. unfort on Tuesday i went to go around my daily choirs with them and found my welsummer dead laying in her coop. she was only 1 year 5 months old. she didnt have any symptons of avaian flu. i think she may have been egg bound without me realizing. my other hen in the coop was a persistent egg layer but noticed she hadnt laid for a few days before death. the last time i seen her alive she seemed to have puffed up feathers looking larger than normal. ill POST a pic of both when she seemed large and when she was deceased, maybe you have some ideas if its avian flu or egg bound?
I’m so sorry, pet loss is difficult, It’s hard to notice every little thin 😢

Back
Top Bottom