Sudden death

Are any of the others acting off? Pale Combs, dull feathers, runny nose or eyes, poop normal?
No, really everything has felt healthy except slow egg production... the 3 RIRs molted and the 2 crested legbars have pretty faithfully delivered during the slowdown.

The only behavior thing that's been different for the past month or so is spending way more time in their run than they normally have. A combination of discovering that broccoli leafs are delicious and worth stealing and dog watching has meant they've not gotten out to free range much.

She was her normal annoying self yesterday when I picked her up. (She was in my garden) Feisty and loud when I put her back in the run and closed the door.

Pale combs? Nope, bright red yesterday and grey this morning.
Dull feathers? No, a very pretty chicken.
Runny nose/eyes? No.
Poop normal? Her poop had been getting more normal over the last month or so. When they get too many treats from the garden things get a bit runny.

@rebrascora - That's a great suggestion though we're not really keen to cut open a pet.

No, really everything has felt healthy except slow egg production... the 3 RIRs molted and the 2 crested legbars have pretty faithfully delivered during the slowdown.

The only behavior thing that's been different for the past month or so is spending way more time in their run than they normally have. A combination of discovering that broccoli leafs are delicious and worth stealing and dog watching has meant they've not gotten out to free range much.

She was her normal annoying self yesterday when I picked her up. (She was in my garden) Feisty and loud when I put her back in the run and closed the door.

Pale combs? Nope, bright red yesterday and grey this morning.
Dull feathers? No, a very pretty chicken.
Runny nose/eyes? No.
Poop normal? Her poop had been getting more normal over the last month or so. When they get too many treats from the garden things get a bit runny.

@rebrascora - That's a great suggestion though we're not really keen to cut open a pet.
I'm afraid your only hope in figuring out what was wrong is sending her off for a necropsy as rebrascora suggested.
If it turns out to be something contagious it'll give you a better chance for treating the rest of the flock if need be.

Cual era su peso, ¿normal ? o sobre peso. Importante la necropsia, según lo cuenta parece un infarto, muy habitual en Broiler, por exceso de peso.

Parece que se ha perdido mi respuesta, por ello la repito.
En los Broiler, es habitual este tipo de muertes, porque cogen demasido peso para sus cortas edades, muriendo por infarto.
Por ello su peso estaba acorde a su raza y edad?

No creo que haya sido un problema de peso, Legbars son un muy ligero raza de gallinas.

I'm stumped, Can't think of anything that could of been the problem. What are the temps where you live?
San Diego in January... day time highs in the 70s and nighttime lows about 45. I thought maybe getting kicked off the roost could have been a problem, but she died sleeping in the nesting box with straw and is fully feathered. Maybe she got chilly but didn't freeze.

We're stumped too. The other 4 seem totally fine today.

I cleaned out all their food and waterers today just in case there was something going on there.

San Diego in January... day time highs in the 70s and nighttime lows about 45. I thought maybe getting kicked off the roost could have been a problem, but she died sleeping in the nesting box with straw and is fully feathered. Maybe she got chilly but didn't freeze.

We're stumped too. The other 4 seem totally fine today.

I cleaned out all their food and waterers today just in case there was something going on there.
Freezing is not the issue. If u can't send her for necropcy, you may never know. Could have been numerous things. Im so sorry for your girl. :hugs
Do you have a compost? Do they free range near it? I'm stumped.

Back
Top Bottom