Sudden Duckling Death. Attack or Illness?

DuckyMolly

In the Brooder
Sep 25, 2021
A week ago, one of my five muscovy ducklings wedged himself into a tight gap when something spooked him, and though it eventually got itself free it took a long while to pry itself loose. It was dead by morning– I assumed that shock did him in.

Yesterday, the four remaining ducklings (now about seven weeks old) were running around, eating and drinking, looking happy and healthy. This morning I found another dead, curled up in the back of the pen. There was no visible discoloration on the beak, though the beak looked like it had been chewed on and there were lesions on the throat. The poor things face was covered in ants, but though I could blame the ants fore the bloodless patches of missing skin on the neck, I never heard of an ant breaking down a beak first.

At this point I am heavily considering bringing the remaining three ducklings inside the house until they're fully grown. Their current cage is in the only outdoor area that is snake-proof, but I'm beginning to question whether or not a different predator found its way in. The ex-tackroom that serves as their brooder does have a mouse problem... but I never heard of a mouse attacking a duckling the way rats do.

But then I think back on the first dead duckling and wonder... is there an illness going around? They show no sign of illness, but ducks have a way of keeping discomfort to themselves. There's plenty of ventilation, I change out the bedding, food, and water daily, and let them out to bathe themselves in an inch-deep cage tray for at least an hour a day... is there something I'm missing? I'm at a loss.

A week ago, one of my five muscovy ducklings wedged himself into a tight gap when something spooked him, and though it eventually got itself free it took a long while to pry itself loose. It was dead by morning– I assumed that shock did him in.

Yesterday, the four remaining ducklings (now about seven weeks old) were running around, eating and drinking, looking happy and healthy. This morning I found another dead, curled up in the back of the pen. There was no visible discoloration on the beak, though the beak looked like it had been chewed on and there were lesions on the throat. The poor things face was covered in ants, but though I could blame the ants fore the bloodless patches of missing skin on the neck, I never heard of an ant breaking down a beak first.

At this point I am heavily considering bringing the remaining three ducklings inside the house until they're fully grown. Their current cage is in the only outdoor area that is snake-proof, but I'm beginning to question whether or not a different predator found its way in. The ex-tackroom that serves as their brooder does have a mouse problem... but I never heard of a mouse attacking a duckling the way rats do.

But then I think back on the first dead duckling and wonder... is there an illness going around? They show no sign of illness, but ducks have a way of keeping discomfort to themselves. There's plenty of ventilation, I change out the bedding, food, and water daily, and let them out to bathe themselves in an inch-deep cage tray for at least an hour a day... is there something I'm missing? I'm at a loss.
Is there a way a mouse or rat could’ve gotten in there? Maybe that’s it

I suspect a rat attack rather than a mouse. The ants come along later. I have recently ratproofed my duck coop and now keep the door closed during the day. That excludes the ducks durign the day, but stops a rat getting in. My ducks are fully grown and one of my two large muscovy males killed a rat that got inside the coop prior to my ratproofing it. Mice could still get in but I haven't seen evidence of mice.

I would certainly keep the ducklings inside until they are larger, and then cover their cage with half inch hardware cloth. Anything larger than half and inch, and a rat can get through.

I suspect a rat attack rather than a mouse. The ants come along later. I have recently ratproofed my duck coop and now keep the door closed during the day. That excludes the ducks durign the day, but stops a rat getting in. My ducks are fully grown and one of my two large muscovy males killed a rat that got inside the coop prior to my ratproofing it. Mice could still get in but I haven't seen evidence of mice.

I would certainly keep the ducklings inside until they are larger, and then cover their cage with half inch hardware cloth. Anything larger than half and inch, and a rat can get through.
I used to keep the brooder door closed during the day, but once temperatures got in the 90-100 degree fahrenheit range I started keeping the door open and used bird netting to cover the entrance. I guess a rat could have easily slipped under it. I don't know any other way they could've gotten in since the place is locked up pretty tightly at night.

The remaining ducklings have been relocated. I've got an area of the duck pen that I let them explore during the day (safely fenced off from the two adults of course), and at night I put them in the dog crate in my bedroom. I'll probably keep that up for the next few weeks until they are big enough to be properly integrated with the other ducks. The duck pen is right next to the house, and though there is the occasional rat snake here and there the farm cats/farm dogs do a good job keeping the area rodent-free.

I'll have to keep that half-inch hardware cloth tip in mind in case we get anymore attacks. But we normally don't have much of a rat problem, it's usually rat snakes that are doing the pullet/duckling killing around here... ironically.

I used to keep the brooder door closed during the day, but once temperatures got in the 90-100 degree fahrenheit range I started keeping the door open and used bird netting to cover the entrance. I guess a rat could have easily slipped under it. I don't know any other way they could've gotten in since the place is locked up pretty tightly at night.

The remaining ducklings have been relocated. I've got an area of the duck pen that I let them explore during the day (safely fenced off from the two adults of course), and at night I put them in the dog crate in my bedroom. I'll probably keep that up for the next few weeks until they are big enough to be properly integrated with the other ducks. The duck pen is right next to the house, and though there is the occasional rat snake here and there the farm cats/farm dogs do a good job keeping the area rodent-free.

I'll have to keep that half-inch hardware cloth tip in mind in case we get anymore attacks. But we normally don't have much of a rat problem, it's usually rat snakes that are doing the pullet/duckling killing around here... ironically.
Good luck! Keeping the little ones in the house at night sounds sensible to me. I have rat snakes, corn snakes and black racers aroynd my yard, but the ducks don't seem to mind. This cheeky black racer comes and drinks from their wading pool!

Attachments

• 20220429_122214.jpg
    20220429_122214.jpg
    280.4 KB · Views: 7

Back
Top Bottom