Sudden Lameness in 8 Week Ducks

SweetLilDuckies

Chirping
May 6, 2020
I have some mature drakes and they ganged up on a couple of my 8-week old ducks, as far as I know it was only two and we intervened as soon as we noticed. One(a runner) had two drakes on it and the other(pekin) only had one. Neither could walk. I carried them back to their pen and the Pekin was able to walk around, the runner still hasn't regained ability to walk. Two of the others(runners) also lost the ability to walk for no apparent reason, I put them in their kiddy pool thinking it would help and I brought the other runner inside so I could keep an eye on her. When I went to put her out, one of the runners I'd put in the pool was dead(I think it drowned), and the other still couldn't walk. The pekin also couldn't walk. I have one runner and pekin who are perfectly fine. I removed the pool and gave them a bucket of water.

I can't afford a vet bill and don't want to have to put them down. How can I help them get their legs back? My only thought would be to have them swim in the bathtub with supervision. I know their legs aren't broken as they can move them, they just can't use them to walk. Any help is appreciated!

Sorry to hear you're having problems with your flock.
Have you physically examined the bird's legs for any abnormalities such as warmness, redness, swelling, discoloration, lesions, etc?
Could you upload a video of the ducks trying to walk?
Are the only birds exhibiting symptoms those who were attacked by the drakes, or is it sporadic throughout the flock?
If yes, did the lameness occur directly after the drake attacks?

Sorry to hear you're having problems with your flock.
Have you physically examined the bird's legs for any abnormalities such as warmness, redness, swelling, discoloration, lesions, etc?
Could you upload a video of the ducks trying to walk?
Are the only birds exhibiting symptoms those who were attacked by the drakes, or is it sporadic throughout the flock?
If yes, did the lameness occur directly after the drake attacks?
Yes, and there was nothing wrong with them. I lost another duck that same day, but since then they've all been able to walk and haven't seemed to struggle at all. It's possible the two that died were earlier attacked by the drakes, but as for the two that we witnessed neither could walk immediately following.

Back
Top Bottom