Sudden onset chick constipation

He is still constipated every day but his vent area does look better. I only feed mash now so I hope that is okay for the other chicks! 1-2 x daily I have to separate him to another room and I give him VERY watery mash mixed with some mineral oil. Usually we have success within about 15 minutes and he’s good for many hours after- on the bright side, he has become very affectionate with me, which I love.

The real questions are if he will “grow out” of this, if I have to spend the rest of his life feeding him with oily food or do they get enough moister things outside that might alleviate this problem? I’ve found this temporary solution while he is a chick but I can’t imagine doing this to a full-grown chicken!

Has anyone else had this problem? I’m so happy to have you guys as resources. No doubt he would not have survived without your great advice.

The real questions are if he will “grow out” of this, if I have to spend the rest of his life feeding him with oily food or do they get enough moister things outside that might alleviate this problem?
Hard to say.....could be something just 'not right' inside.
ETA: he may also have some physical anomaly that may not resolve long term.

Well, he is making it and looks healthy but this is definitely strange. I wish some answer could just fall from the sky and stop the madness! :confused:
Lol sometimes we just don't know what is going on inside until you cut them open.

Sorry.

I know this thread is old, but @minaayindra , did your chick recover? I have a chick going through something similar for the past 36 hours. I'm able to relieve the chick by soaking it's butt in warm water and it can pass some waste, but it is still struggling. I'm continuing to support it because it is eating/drinking well and really seems to have a will to live but I'm concerned that this may not improve.

Back
Top Bottom