Sudden onset chick constipation

Pics
It worked SO well that I think they were all disappointed when we went back to regular food! 😉 Just use warm water and oil- I used mineral and didn’t have to measure, just used enough so I could see multiple drops floating on surface. While we have used medicine in syringes before, we stopped doing that with the oil because there was too much risk of getting it in her lungs (then they don’t ever come back). Until she was energetic enough to dip her mouth in the food, we rubbed it on her beak from the side, then she would open her mouth a little and we could rub a tiny bit in the front. It was soon thereafter that she could eat lightly on her own. I am just too clutzy to hold a bird and put a syringe safely in its mouth. Best of luck, please let me know how it comes out- and send a picture if you can! Bed is the one sticking her neck up on the left (yes, I thought she was a boy for some odd reason).
CD8DAE73-D9B1-4BC8-833E-5635BEE4F3A6.jpeg

Unfortunately we had to euthanize the chick a couple of days after posting to this forum. It looked like it was getting better for a day, and then turned bad again. We kept up with the coconut oil and warm baths, but the chick was clearly miserable (crying 24/7) and had started to lose weight. At least if this happens again we will know what to do immediately. Thanks for the advice, folks!

Back
Top Bottom