Sudden onset chick constipation

Pics

minaayindra

Songster
5 Years
I am having a problem with sudden-onset constipation in my 11-day-old chick. I can usually squeeze the vent lightly and it comes out but his vent is swollen and he cries every time he starts going. I have read molasses gives them diarrhea OR it should be used to stop diarrhea- they can’t both be right. I have them started today on chick grit, tried the recommended smashed banana but no one would touch it, tried to give his oil but his tiny beak will not open unless I’m willing to take the risk of breaking his head, he had a 3-day probiotic watering that stopped day before yesterday. He has been super healthy so I’m astonished. Also strange- his poop isn’t hard. He definitely does not have pasty butt.

What all exactly have you been feeding this chick?
Did you hatch chick or buy it...as a day old?
Any other chicks having problems pooping?
I got him as a day old with 17 others. One died from an infected yolk sac and had pasty butt but this was in the first 5 days. This guy has been healthy, happy, outgoing, gets along with the other chicks and they all have the exact same food- chick medicated starter feed. I introduced some grit as soon as this started and tried to give mashed bananas per advice, but no one would eat them. I’ve tried a few tiny pieces of fruit slivers as snacks in the last 2 days but no one would eat those either. So, all he has had is the chick starter feed and now some grit. He has unlimited water as he wants it and he seems to be drinking adequately.

2x aart ... What are you feeding? You could try making a mash of chick starter/grower, it will help get some water in it. What kind of "oil"? Why are you squeezing the vent? Suspecting it's constipated? You say it's been healthy, what makes you suspect it's constipated?
He is screaming every time he starts to go, his vent is bright red and swollen, he is retaining stool until I find a way to remove it. I could mix water in their feed although I’m not sure what would be the right consistency.

2x aart ... What are you feeding? You could try making a mash of chick starter/grower, it will help get some water in it. What kind of "oil"? Why are you squeezing the vent? Suspecting it's constipated? You say it's been healthy, what makes you suspect it's constipated?
The oil was canola oil someone said they put in a dropper and gave to their chick, along with prune juice. No prune juice but I had the oil, shame I can’t get it into him.

He is screaming every time he starts to go, his vent is bright red and swollen, he is retaining stool until I find a way to remove it. I could mix water in their feed although I’m not sure what would be the right consistency.

Add water to make like oatmeal. Instead of canola oil, try coconut oil (it's hard but will melt in your hand), put some on your finger & offer. Stop squeezing

Back
Top Bottom