Suddenly feathers everywhere!

Smurfbrew

Songster
7 Years
Jul 30, 2014
Nebraska
I've got three 8 week old duckies, who are my first ones, and the last couple days I've noticed lots of loose feathers everywhere. It's like they've turned into shedding cats. They are collecting in the corners of their house and pen and pretty much everywhere they hang out. Is this molting? What should I be expecting? Will they shed all of their feathers? They don't look like they are going bald by any means, they are still sleek and pretty, but every time they rub their bellies, they lose more feathers!

Ok, first what breed are they? It's possable they loose feathers and get a different set for the winter.are they are in the correct diet? Getting enough nutrition? Have a look if they have any redness where the fethers fell out? Are they eating and feeding well?
I think if you worried call your local vet for advise.

That's right at the age they typically go through their first moult, so sounds perfectly normal to me. Their new feathers will start growing in under the ones they are losing, so they will never be completely bald anywhere.

They are one fawn and white runner and two Welsh Harlequins. I don't see any redness or anything. In fact you wouldn't know they were shedding if you just saw them. They're not patchy or anything. They just finished growing in all of their feathers for the first time, so I thought maybe it was a little early to start losing them already.

Oh, I did change their feed a while back from starter crumbles grower crumbles, but that was about a month ago. They've pretty much finished off the bag already. Plus they get lots of snacks and forage in the yard in the afternoons.

Sense my ducks feathers came in fully, it looks like a pillow fight happened in the pen on a daily basis.... No one is patchy, but the males where getting there breeding coloured feathers in, maybe it's that...

My entire yard is still coved in feathers and it's been about a month of molting. Yes, it is normal for that age and then from here on out once a year in the fall-ish.

I am glad they ok and just they first fether loss.... Phew nothing to worry than. How funny I got gooses they never seen a lots of fethers.... I will pay attention now on. :)

Back
Top Bottom