Sugar in jellies equals how many jars?

jomoncon

Songster
10 Years
Sep 24, 2010
New Orleans, LA
Does anyone know what's the equivalent measure of a cup of sugar once it added to juice in jelly making? For example, if I have 4 cups of juice and add 3 cups of sugar, once the sugar is melted, how many cups of liquid will I have?

Sometimes I try a recipe that does not give the resulting number of jars and I have no idea how many jars and lids to prepare.

I have no idea what jelly you could be canning with 4 cups of juice and only 3 cups of sugar. With every recipe I’m familiar with the sugar volume is greater than the juice. But I don’t do the low sugar recipes. What are you making?

I get frustrated with that too. Some online recipes (not necessarily jelly) don’t even bother to tell you if they are talking quarts, pints, or half-pints when it comes to processing time, let alone how many.

It’s going to vary some on what the product is. Different juices bulk up differently. I’d personally prepare six half-pints but would only expect to fill five. Some examples from the Sure-Jell chart:

Blackberry – 3-3/4 cups juice and 4-1/2 cups sugar = 5 cups
Sour Cherry – 3-1/2 cups juice and 4 cups sugar = 5 cups
Strawberry – 3-3/4 cups juice and 4-1/2 cups sugar = 6 cups

Ridgewater, you're absolutely correct about the proportions of juice & sugar. I was only giving an example with my 4 cups of juice & 3 cups of sugar. I'm just trying to estimate how many jars a recipe would give - what's the equivalent amount of x number of cups of sugar after it's dissolved in juice.

Back
Top Bottom