Suggest a dual purpose meat bird and why.

Cool link!
thumbsup.gif

I keep hearing that dark colored birds will leave dark spots. So a black australorp would not be a pretty meat bird after dressed but a white colored bird like a white plymouth rock would? What if you skinned both birds? And anyone can give input, its just that most threads I read are people that have idea but no experience lol. Two years is way more than me. Thanks

The dark spot issue can be solved by skinning instead of plucking though too. I never pluck my birds, big pain and I don't need the skin anyway LOL.

My father ( a Veterinarian) and I did these types of crossbreeding for over a half a century in hopes of producing a better meat bird
fl.gif
... guess what... we somewhat improved just a little bit on amount of meat produced,
clap.gif
then about 4 years ago, I discovered the advantages of raising the Cornish X in terms of cost / benefit as well as time, so our birds whent over the rainbow bridge to freezer camp.
yesss.gif
They definitely are better as far as feed conversion and the like, but again the big problem with them is that they aren't sustainable. Plus they are soooo messy and stooopid, LOL. They get first prize for the MOST annoying birds I have ever owned, and I have owned a lot of birds!

Thanks for the input guys, been thinking about the two flock thing for the last couple days that someone mentioned on here, the idea being having one flock of egg layers and a flock of meaties. The meaties being white rock and or dark cornish. My problem with that is the idea of maintaing two flocks with the extra expense. I mean if the white rock or dak cornish were producing the same amount of meat that a Cx would then I would be apt to consider it. But from what I have read neither would produce much more meat than a dual purpose breed with all falling way short of the Cx.

I have read and watched articles and movies on chicken breeds enough over the last few days to make my eyes bleed, and every thing pretty much points to the fact that any breed outside a Cx will be woefully undersized unless you grow it out which in turn makes it very tough. Therefore I am leaning back to my orginal idea of having one dual purpose breed and just taking my losses on the meat end when butchering them.

Also someone mentinoned using white leghorns as my egg laying flock as they are the most effiencent breed for eggs to amt of feed consumed. I mulled this idea over for sometime but began to think that if the crap hit the fan, I would almost certainly have to turn my chickens loose to free range to supplement there feeding. And I just feel that a white colored chicken would not last long as I have TREMENDOUS predator pressure where I live. Fox, coyote, racoon, possum, black snake, and most of all chicken hawks. Also I live in W.V and we can some bad winters here at times. Every descrption I read of the white leghorn says they are heat tolerant. No mention of being cold tolerant. I just could not afford to loose my birds in the winter when someday I may have to depend on them. In addition there descrptions read that they are not very big birds, thus not good meat birds?

Am I thinking wrong here or does the two flock system sound better to you guys. Also I am wrong on the white leghorns? All input is greatly welcomed as I will be purchasing coop materials in approx 10-12 days.

Last edited:
Check out the Dorking. It is by far the best tasting bird and my girls lay on average 4-5 eggs a week each. You will not regret it. Take a look at the B.Y.C. Dorking Club thread. Lots of great info on the breed. They are a little slower to mature, but well worth the wait. They are very hearty and great foragers. They will raise their own easily as well. Just a suggestion... Best wishes!

Hmm never considered a brown leg horn, but again I just dont know how cold hardy they will be. Also I did look at the Dorking but didnt know if the longer mature time was worth the wait as all threads and I mean all threads say the longer the wait the more tough they are. Since you have them can you tell me at about what age you butcher them, how much does the carcass weigh and are they tough?

Thanks so much

Last edited:
6 - 7 months old yields a 4.5-6lbs carcass ready for the freezer. I will say, mine free range and I planned on fattening them up a week or two before but haven't. Their feed bill is drastically different in my opinion compared to a two other breeds I have. Let's just say, I won't have the other breeds much longer. The orpingtons have good flavor but a little tougher. (6 mos - 5lbs) Still, no comparison to the Dorking. Dorkings are not tough at this age. I read something YellowHouse posted about how to cook the different ages. They are very flavorful, tender, and that's just with salt & pepper. Impressive!

Some people coop them and fatten them at 4mos. I'm happy letting them range cutting my feed bill which is next to nothing, and culling before winter just leaving the select breeding stock for next season. (You should always plan on keeping two roos no matter what breed you choose) just make sure to get one a few months younger to keep the pecking order in check. I'm raising for the same reasons you are... On the other topic!

If predators are a problem in your area you should consider a chicken tractor or your birds will be someone else's breakfast, lunch and dinner. All breeds will have their pros and cons and no breed is perfect... Possibly you need to try a few out of each types to find out what suits you.

Back
Top Bottom