Suggestions for 8 Yr Old Hen's Birthday Party ?

Barry Natchitoches

Songster
11 Years
Sep 4, 2008
Tennessee
I have a little hen who will celebrate her 8th birthday on Friday, March 24th.

We have never had a chicken live this long. Her name is Blueberry. She's always been a family favorite.

We want to celebrate her birthday, by throwing the chickens a big party.

How do you throw a big birthday party for about 40 or 50 chickens (5 roosters, and about 40 - 45 hens)?

What kind of treats should we provide? We have a pretty good stand of some of their favorite greens growing right now. They love to chow down on the comfrey and other weeds we have growing in the field. And we already have a big sack of black oil sunflower seeds.

But what other treats can you provide for your chickens at a very special birthday party?

What kind of special present can we give Blueberry? My wife says give her her very own ear of corn. Even though it is expensive and hard to come by this time of year, I lean towards getting her a watermelon - that would be big enough to share with her friends. IF I can find a watermelon this time of year.

Any other ideas of a good birthday gift for an 8 year old hen?

And what kind of activities can we have for the chickens at their party?

My family's hoping you folks can come up with some creative ideas.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
This is the little lady when she was about 36 hours old.

Can you believe this little lady is about to turn 8 YEARS OLD ???
woot.gif

This picture was taken on March 25, 2009:

If you want to go all out, you can even get them to drink some healthy veggies that they normally wouldn't love to eat- Chicken smoothies!
Even though it made a huge mess when I did it, I just blended some yogurt, hard boiled egg, and some greens and water to make a smoothie that they loved! Leave it out in a bowl, and they drink from it! Its awesome!
Oh, and wish Blueberry Happy birthday for me!
Also, you could experiment with blueberries in honor of the birthday girl, not sure if they'd eat them though.
big_smile.png

Oh, chicken birthday parties are so much fun! :D I celebrate the first 'hatchday' of all my birds and try to have a yearly party for them regardless of whether I got chicks the previous year or not. My parties usually consist of lots of food. :lol: I make their 'cake' out of a watermelon, emptied out and filled with their favorite treats (tomatoes, cucumbers, diced bell peppers, corn, etc.). Plain yogurt makes a pretty convincing 'frosting' to complete the cake look. :D A few of my 'hatchday cakes' from through the years:

They always go over well:

Except for with picky ducks. :rolleyes:

I try to make 'cupcakes' out of smaller fruit as well to spread around for the shyer birds in the flock to get at:

And they always get extra free-range time that day as an extra treat. :D

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with! Blueberry is a gorgeous gal and very lucky she's got such an awesome owner! :)

Back
Top Bottom