Suggestions for electrical light timer?

Summer_Dawn

In the Brooder
Sep 12, 2017
My coop is inside a haybarn. It's pretty dark without the barn doors open, and with winter coming, I'm looking for a timer I can use to turn lights on in the morning and turn off in the evening. We're in northern New York so the days will be getting quite a bit shorter and there will be nights when it snows 2-3 feet and I won't be able to get to the barn until I can dig myself into it.

Most outdoor timers I've seen are for outdoor decorations and turn on at dusk for a set amount of time, not something I can set the time on my own. I've seen indoor timers that would be appropriate for my needs, but I'm worried about the durability. It won't be directly in the weather, but there's a chance it could get wet if it's really snowing and blowing here. And I need something that can withstand harsh temperatures.

If anyone has any suggestions, please send them my way! Thanks!

There are lots of Intermatic timers for outdoors, that work exactly like the Indoor ones, but they are grounded plugs & in a box with a cover. Just search for Intermatic Outddor timer. Never saw one that is just dusk to dawn. They may run $20-25.

There are lots of Intermatic timers for outdoors, that work exactly like the Indoor ones, but they are grounded plugs & in a box with a cover. Just search for Intermatic Outddor timer. Never saw one that is just dusk to dawn. They may run $20-25.
This type would be one that I can set the time on, right? Or at least set a time cycle? I don't want one that is dependent on the sun, I'd just like to be able to have the light on for them from about 11 to 12 hours a day (for example, 7 AM to 6 or 7 PM) so that they can see well enough to get around. I'm sure there will be some days when the weather won't permit me to have the doors open very much at all, but I don't want them stuck in the dark all day.

It's fine to turn on the lights before sunrise but the chickens need the gradual darkening from sunset to dusk to find their roosting spot and get all that sorted out. If you can add a clear panel to the roof above the roosting area and just add light before sunrise the chickens will be much happier.

JT

This type would be one that I can set the time on, right? Or at least set a time cycle? I don't want one that is dependent on the sun, I'd just like to be able to have the light on for them from about 11 to 12 hours a day (for example, 7 AM to 6 or 7 PM) so that they can see well enough to get around. I'm sure there will be some days when the weather won't permit me to have the doors open very much at all, but I don't want them stuck in the dark all day.

Yes you set the time you want to turn on & off. The outdoor units usually come with 2 sets of on & off points to set your times. You can use only one set. You set time, put it plastic things at when you want on & off & plug in. They work just like the lamp timers, but are for outside & more heavy duty.

Back
Top Bottom