Suggestions for helping a rooster to accept a hen please

Separate, rehome or butcher the nasty cockerel as his ongoing aggressive behaviour is not normal and should not be tolerated by the chicken keeper.

If he does not like her anymore, he could easily ignore her and just not mate with her.

Or add another adult rooster to your flock which will teach him manners and protect the victim.

Separate, rehome or butcher the nasty cockerel as his ongoing aggressive behaviour is not normal and should not be tolerated by the chicken keeper.

If he does not like her anymore, he could easily ignore her and just not mate with her.

Or add another adult rooster to your flock which will teach him manners and protect the victim.
Thank you regarding the idea of an adult rooster. Currently I don't have room - I would have to get more hens, too.
I asked for no comments about rehome or culling.

Thank you regarding the idea of an adult rooster. Currently I don't have room - I would have to get more hens, too.
I asked for no comments about rehome or culling.
I have read your request like everyone else on this thread.

But this is a public chicken forum and when asking for opinions you will have to live with the fact that some of them might not be to your liking.

Due to the fact that your poor hen is still having to live through this daily hell of being seriously abused and injured by the cockerel, I felt compelled to make it very clear to you, that this should be stopped immediately.

Just because you do not like the idea of rehoming or culling, you cannot dictate peoples' comments.

Looking at your set up, I do not see anything wrong with it. It could have more hideouts inside the run, but I have seen worse.

I do not see a peaceful resolution to this. Some birds do not work well together, even if they are suppose to. Sometimes in very small flocks, pin - less peepers will help. They are especially used on a mean old hens, I have never heard of anyone putting them on a rooster.

I would re-home one of the birds, the victim or cull the rooster. I know that is not the solution you want, but I can not take strife in chicken coop. I do not like watching birds attacking each other or a victim. And I don't like birds being separated. Makes a huge amount of stress on me.

Mrs K

It's pretty hard for us long time keepers to not mention those.
Experience has taught us that sometimes you can't bend the instinct and will of an animal to behave as we wish them to.
I understand if it's pretty hard for you, then there is no need to reply to my post if you don't have advice on the question.

I have read your request like everyone else on this thread.

But this is a public chicken forum and when asking for opinions you will have to live with the fact that some of them might not be to your liking.

Due to the fact that your poor hen is still having to live through this daily hell of being seriously abused and injured by the cockerel, I felt compelled to make it very clear to you, that this should be stopped immediately.

Just because you do not like the idea of rehoming or culling, you cannot dictate peoples' comments.
I am not dictating people's comments. I did not say that my hen is in a daily hell or abusive situation. I protect her. I asked for people who have advice / experience on changes in behavior specifically.
I will be closing this thread. The group has not been positive for me.

asked for people who have advice / experience on changes in behavior specifically.
Separating him was the advice you also choose to ignore.

Sadly, even we chicken breeders/keepers with decades of experience have no magic wand to "solve" the issue by just waving it.

@AIJoy, I am so sorry about your situation with your rooster.
Our rooster was behaving badly toward our hens also, especially the hen at the bottom of the pecking order. He would always yank their feathers out and it got to the point when our bottom hen would not even come down from the coop because of him. There was really no explanation for his behavior; sometimes roosters are just rough. It made us so sad to see our hens so nervous all the time. The only time our roo would leave them alone was when we kept him occupied with treats and entertainment; but we obviously couldn't be there all the time to keep the peace. We ended up re-homing him because it was just getting to be too much; the hens would have to come first. Our hens are a lot happier now.

Maybe try re-introducing your rooster and hen, keeping them both occupied with treats while he warms up to her little by little. I think what you have been doing (keeping them separate then supervising them together) is a good idea; and if you are set on keeping both rooster and hen, keep doing what you are doing and it might work out.

I sincerely apologize for the bad experience you have had on BYC, I hope you will give the helpful people here another chance.

Good luck! :frow

Separating him was the advice you also choose to ignore.

Sadly, even we chicken breeders/keepers with decades of experience have no magic wand to "solve" the issue by just waving it.
I did not choose to ignore the advice of separating him. I do separate them but give them some exposure.
I am looking for any advice on people who have experience this and had some successes, not a magic wand.

@AIJoy, I am so sorry about your situation with your rooster.
Our rooster was behaving badly toward our hens also, especially the hen at the bottom of the pecking order. He would always yank their feathers out and it got to the point when our bottom hen would not even come down from the coop because of him. There was really no explanation for his behavior; sometimes roosters are just rough. It made us so sad to see our hens so nervous all the time. The only time our roo would leave them alone was when we kept him occupied with treats and entertainment; but we obviously couldn't be there all the time to keep the peace. We ended up re-homing him because it was just getting to be too much; the hens would have to come first. Our hens are a lot happier now.

Maybe try re-introducing your rooster and hen, keeping them both occupied with treats while he warms up to her little by little. I think what you have been doing (keeping them separate then supervising them together) is a good idea; and if you are set on keeping both rooster and hen, keep doing what you are doing and it might work out.

I sincerely apologize for the bad experience you have had on BYC, I hope you will give the helpful people here another chance.

Good luck! :frow
This is so helpful and kind of you to reach out, and also to tell me about your situation with your rooster and hens. I appreciate it a lot.
I like the idea of re-introducing and occupied with treats / warming up to her little by little. Yes, I've been discouraged by some negative replies. Your reply is uplifting because it inspires me with new ideas. Thank you :)

Back
Top Bottom