Suggestions for helping a rooster to accept a hen please

Really this is rather odd. Can you add some pictures of the set up? He should not be doing that. Maybe some video of the attack?

Something is wrong somewhere.

Mrs K
Thank you for replying to me, Mrs. K. I can't get a video of the attack, sorry. They have lots of space, food, and stimulation. I made a photo of their house and run area for you. There is that space, and more. We add trains and move them around to different areas. They free range part of the day, but are in this enclosure the other part of the day.

Attachments

• 20230923_160857.jpg
    20230923_160857.jpg
    690.7 KB · Views: 26
My hen only flock chased my cockerels after I separated them from the pullets and refused to mate them. They are now chased by the same cockerels if they get close to the pullets I released a month ago. They all eat and lay in the same run but free range and roost in 2 separate areas and coops.Some chickens don't get along.
Thank you, it's really helpful to hear from you. I'm still hoping I can help them to get along one day - it's complicated to always do separate things!

My only addition to all above advice is to check that hen over really well. We recently had a similar issue: rooster chased/attacked only one hen, but that hen was not bullied by anyone else. I don’t think he was drawing blood though-at least never witnessed that, but witnessed the aggression plenty of times. Even when we put her in a cage in the run, with food and water for a few days to allow her some peace and to eat/drink, rooster would come over with flared neck feathers and try to attack -similar to what 2 roosters would go (but the hen was actually a hen, and was trying to get away). In the end, it turned out the hen was sick- she had done kind of infection on her vent area/lower belly, and started to separate herself from the flock and was acting different. We had to remove her bc it was pretty bad (she passed away later). So, I think he was keeping her from the flock bc she was ill. Birds hide any illness/weakness by nature bc they are prey animals. So when we (the humans) notice, they are usually pretty sick. The flock notices first - and often bully or keep away sick birds.

Looking at your set up, I do not see anything wrong with it. It could have more hideouts inside the run, but I have seen worse.

I do not see a peaceful resolution to this. Some birds do not work well together, even if they are suppose to. Sometimes in very small flocks, pin - less peepers will help. They are especially used on a mean old hens, I have never heard of anyone putting them on a rooster.

I would re-home one of the birds, the victim or cull the rooster. I know that is not the solution you want, but I can not take strife in chicken coop. I do not like watching birds attacking each other or a victim. And I don't like birds being separated. Makes a huge amount of stress on me.

Mrs K

It's not normal behavior on the cockerel's part, and I doubt it will change. The only thing I can think of is to separate out the rooster for a period of weeks, to somewhere where he and the hen in question cannot interact. The idea behind this is he might forget about her and whatever reason he has for attacking her. It might also give his hormones a chance to settle down.

My only addition to all above advice is to check that hen over really well. We recently had a similar issue: rooster chased/attacked only one hen, but that hen was not bullied by anyone else. I don’t think he was drawing blood though-at least never witnessed that, but witnessed the aggression plenty of times. Even when we put her in a cage in the run, with food and water for a few days to allow her some peace and to eat/drink, rooster would come over with flared neck feathers and try to attack -similar to what 2 roosters would go (but the hen was actually a hen, and was trying to get away). In the end, it turned out the hen was sick- she had done kind of infection on her vent area/lower belly, and started to separate herself from the flock and was acting different. We had to remove her bc it was pretty bad (she passed away later). So, I think he was keeping her from the flock bc she was ill. Birds hide any illness/weakness by nature bc they are prey animals. So when we (the humans) notice, they are usually pretty sick. The flock notices first - and often bully or keep away sick birds.
Thank you Acre4Me, I so appreciate your thoughtfulness in replying to me. It is stressful because I want to keep everyone safe and happy! I check her and the others over regularly, she has always been healthy. The other hens love her and she's not lowest on the pecking order or anything, it's only the rooster who has an issue.

Some breeds bear confinement better than others. Your run is neat and uncluttered, has few hiding places and nothing to entertain them.Some chickens will become aggressive in confinement more than others depending on the environment

Good one, I am hoping it's hormones that are changing... Thank you
It's not normal behavior on the cockerel's part, and I doubt it will change. The only thing I can think of is to separate out the rooster for a period of weeks, to somewhere where he and the hen in question cannot interact. The idea behind this is he might forget about her and whatever reason he has for attacking her. It might also give his hormones a chance to settle down.

Some breeds bear confinement better than others. Your run is neat and uncluttered, has few hiding places and nothing to entertain them.Some chickens will become aggressive in confinement more than others depending on the environment
They have a lot to entertain them, I put many things in there, this is just a picture. They are only in there part of the day / go home to sleep at night. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom