Suggestions on what type of nails or screws to use?

If I were going to use screws instead of nails, I would use only deck screws. They are very strong and hold things together without question.

But I used nails from my nail gun.
smile.png

Quote:
If you are going to use screws use self tapping wood screws.

Chris

Last edited:
dang it is was going to say self tapping wood screws too or maybe coated nails. I am planning a 4x4 coop btw and i will be using 2x3s for the framing. Cant find any nice 2x2s around here. I just put a Craftsman Autohammer G2 and new drill on layaway, cant wait for my b-day to pick it up. Oh and i will be using a Kreg jig for making pocket holes.

Definitely screws! I learnt the hard way that even if you think you're building it right there will always be *something* that you have to move! LOL In my case it was one of the upright supports I had to move, and had it been nailed in I would have wrecked the frame trying to get the nail out. With screws you can also countersink them which looks neater.

Im working on a small coop, 3'x4' the frame is 2x4 and I use deck screws, my suggestion is use only enough screws to put it together and when you are sure is ok fix it with more ... ( i used 6 screws in each joint and due to a curved piece of wood , and no previous experience, it came out twisted so i had to disassemble and start again, when i got it straight reinforce with the rest of the screws again) Enjoy the process!

Back
Top Bottom