What are y'all using to nail HWC and wire fencing?

Vadard

Songster
Sep 6, 2019
Gulf Coast
I'm just about to start framing a big run (16x20). Up until this point, I just used roofing screws to tack down HWC. I'm thinking it might be time for a brad gun or something similar. Was leaning toward this one (Metabo HPT), but I'd honestly like to spend a lot less as I won't use this tool very much. I have this gun's big brother, the framing nail version, and it's bad to the bone. So maybe this one's worth it.

What are y'all using for wire fence and HWC? Thanks for any suggestions.

I was initially going to rent a construction stapler for my Cattle Panel Hoop Run project-it's probably the quickest option for completing it quickly and securely if you have a compressor, plus you can use decent gauge staples so it will be strong. So definitely try to rent one first-my local HWS rents them for $15/day. I opted not to do that and go with all screws-for the cattle panel to base frame I'm using pipe strapping, which comes in many gauges and segment lengths-some people here use the stuff for plumbers, which is usually 24 or 22 gauge, and I'm sure that would work well too with panhead screws. For the HWC to the outside of the frame I'll use screws/fender washers or maybe just use a furring strip and screw that in over top. If I had a good compressor at home already, which I do not, I would just rent the Construction Stapler. I've heard you have to dial the psi way down when stapling HWC otherwise the staples blast right through. Good luck!

I attached the HC using simple pneumatic 1/2" staples:
1676547627349.png
to hold it in place then secured with 3/4" galvanized poultry staples by hammering them in.
1676547709095.png

If you want to shoot once, you cannot use a simple pneumatic staple gun. You need a pneumatic fencing stapler, NOT a brad nailer. I have a few brad nailers. I use them to attach trim or assemble cabinets. They can pull out rather easily as they have very tiny heads and are a fine guage.
1676547888489.png
They shoot these.
1676547545223.png

So unless you have lots of money to spend on something you will likely only use once OR you will do LOTS of fencing, I would just hammer in poultry staples OR attach using galvanized or coated screws with fender washers OR pin a pressure treated board over each framing member to sandwich the fencing to the frame.

I'm just about to start framing a big run (16x20). Up until this point, I just used roofing screws to tack down HWC. I'm thinking it might be time for a brad gun or something similar. Was leaning toward this one (Metabo HPT), but I'd honestly like to spend a lot less as I won't use this tool very much. I have this gun's big brother, the framing nail version, and it's bad to the bone. So maybe this one's worth it.

What are y'all using for wire fence and HWC? Thanks for any suggestions.
I attached my cattle panels to the 2x4 base with 1 1/2" staples and a big hammer (1" staples popped out!). However, my arthritic hands don't have enough strength to twist wire to attach the HWC to the cattle panels so I used 8" black zip-ties. Eventually I will go back and redo with something sturdier, possibly hog rings.

I have read that staples aren't strong enough to hold HWC if you have a determined predator.

I was initially going to rent a construction stapler for my Cattle Panel Hoop Run project-it's probably the quickest option for completing it quickly and securely if you have a compressor, plus you can use decent gauge staples so it will be strong. So definitely try to rent one first-my local HWS rents them for $15/day. I opted not to do that and go with all screws-for the cattle panel to base frame I'm using pipe strapping, which comes in many gauges and segment lengths-some people here use the stuff for plumbers, which is usually 24 or 22 gauge, and I'm sure that would work well too with panhead screws. For the HWC to the outside of the frame I'll use screws/fender washers or maybe just use a furring strip and screw that in over top. If I had a good compressor at home already, which I do not, I would just rent the Construction Stapler. I've heard you have to dial the psi way down when stapling HWC otherwise the staples blast right through. Good luck!
Appreciate the reply. I may just stick with screws.

I attached the HC using simple pneumatic 1/2" staples:
to hold it in place then secured with 3/4" galvanized poultry staples by hammering them in.
View attachment 3406695

If you want to shoot once, you cannot use a simple pneumatic staple gun. You need a pneumatic fencing stapler, NOT a brad nailer. I have a few brad nailers. I use them to attach trim or assemble cabinets. They can pull out rather easily as they have very tiny heads and are a fine guage.
They shoot these.
View attachment 3406693

So unless you have lots of money to spend on something you will likely only use once OR you will do LOTS of fencing, I would just hammer in poultry staples OR attach using galvanized or coated screws with fender washers OR pin a pressure treated board over each framing member to sandwich the fencing to the frame.
Now that is smart. Tacking the HWC down with the normal staples would make the job so much easier. Thanks for he tip on avoiding brad nailers, too.

I forgot about the trick with furring strips. Good idea. Thanks!

On a wood surface I've used mostly 1.25" pneumatic staples and Modified Truss Head screws. For trickier situations I've found use of galvanized plumber's tape and galvanized fence wire, such as mounting to a T-Post.

Back
Top Bottom