What are y'all using to nail HWC and wire fencing?

For hardware cloth and chicken wire I've found a 1/4 crown stapler with 1/4 x 1/2 galvanized staples to be the bomb! Staples come in lengths up to 1 7/8s. Set the staple gun strength to fire the staples the proper depth into the wood you are connecting to, and you won't cut your wire. They are fantastic for OSB construction uses as well. They can put down 100 staples faster than you can drive 10! I haven't regretted buying one for a minute!

Screws and a fender washer. And it does not have to be decking screws. The cheapest, shortest box of drywall screw will do. It's secure! And the screw will last albeit rust some. Still able to unscrew to unassemble easily if making alterations or moving. Can you imagine prying out fence staples?
Great points!

Fence stapler.

Worth the investment of money (bought on sale), in time and frustration saved on the very large coop and suited to the future construction of other yard and garden structures.
I just snagged one of these from HF for $22. Gonna go with @texan4ut’s method for the run and will use screws and fender washers for the coop itself.

I appreciate everyone’s tips and feedback!

https://www.harborfreight.com/air-t.../18-gauge-2-in-1-air-nailerstapler-68019.html

I just snagged one of these from HF for $22. Gonna go with @texan4ut’s method for the run and will use screws and fender washers for the coop itself.

I appreciate everyone’s tips and feedback!

https://www.harborfreight.com/air-t.../18-gauge-2-in-1-air-nailerstapler-68019.html

That's what we used on the doors where the wood was too thin to take fence staples.

I used a double row for greater holding power in case a racoon got to prying at it.

0910211159-jpg.3012638

We used the really heavy ones on most of the coop.

0722211146-jpg.3012621

0722211158a-jpg.3012622

That's what we used on the doors where the wood was too thin to take fence staples.

I used a double row for greater holding power in case a racoon got to prying at it.

0910211159-jpg.3012638

We used the really heavy ones on most of the coop.

0722211146-jpg.3012621

0722211158a-jpg.3012622
Thanks for the pics — great to see. That’s exactly what I want to do. The gun I got can drive 1 3/4” staples. You can supposedly crank the pressure down enough where it won’t cut the HWC on the way in. Thinking that plus the furring strips on top will be plenty.

Back
Top Bottom