1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

*suggestions welcome*

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by annie3001, Apr 14, 2011.

1. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    I have a 1 year old rooster that is suddenly wanting to attack men. not my husband thank goodness. but the rooster charges my father. even with me present. so i tell my dad (who is over all the time to watch the kiddies and who built the roosters hens home etc.) anyways, i tell my dad to hand out food the hens, maybe the rooster will be okay with this and be comfortable. well that doesnt work either. while all the chickens are free ranging outside, the rooster will come clear across the yard to attack my father.

now the rooster has made this attempt with our 5 year old. that is unacceptable. i like this rooster, and thought he was cool. in fact he protects all the chickens, but i dont trust him with my kids and now he is disliking men. any ideas? [​IMG]

thanks in advance.

btw: history on this rooster, he was brought up from a chic etc. always been gentle, until the last few months. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 14, 2011
  2. Merryment

Merryment Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2011
    Stewpot. With dumplings. [​IMG]

3. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    Many people say if you pick him up when he is about to attack and hold him for a while it will calm him down. You can also try holding him with his head lowered.
    He looks like a tough pickle!

4. cpegram

cpegram Chillin' With My Peeps

mine get 3 strikes they and they are out...sorry

ETA especially when kids are concerned...I have raised a roo from a day old chick and he has strike one he went after DD 4yr old ......i chased him all around and he has left her alone...i don't completely trust him but like i said 3 strikes...I have another that took his 3 strikes and he is gone...

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2011
  5. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    Best to put him in the soup pot. While you "might" be able to teach him not to attack you and your family members, you can not guarantee he will not attack you r neighbour or a salesman or your kids friends. I had a roo that was fine around us, but when my frend came over with her young kids in tow, he attacked them. Not cool. Roosters are very easy to come by. No sense holding onto a mean one.

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Be very careful with the kids around him. I have had a rooster hit me at hip level before (and I'm 5'8"), this would be face level for my son.

7. Jasmine130

Jasmine130 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2010
    Redwood City, California
    That's a great photo and he's beautiful. But he's HUGE! I mean look at him in comparison to the kids on the swing in your photo.

I'd be a-skeerd too!

8. dragonlair

dragonlair Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2008
    Maine
    Man, that is one huge roo! Those poor kids muct be scared to death of him! hehehehe

He does look like he has a major attitude!

9. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
  10. ladybug99

ladybug99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    Monroe New Jersey
    My roo looks very similar to yours....and he is turning into a Devil.. my boyfriend thought it to be funny when he came at me.. but now he is comming at him... I don't have the heart to kill him.. but we might just end up giving him away to someone looking for some "fresh chicken"

Mine is very large as well... when he stands he comes to my waist... and I am almost 6 feet tall... and he flies at you feet first.. very scary indeed.... we don't have little ones around so we are not that concerned he will hurt anyone... he is also penned in. We have 29 eggs in the incubator at this point.. and hoping for a more docile roo. But he is very good with his girls. He is a Welsummer and from what I am told they are suppose to be pretty docile... my hens are sweethearts... but something went wrong in this ones wiring LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by