sulfameth/trimethoprim dosage

JessMay

Songster
Jul 23, 2019
Northwest Illinois
I have a hen who has been having leg issues for some time now. She is an about a year and a half old light brahma. We noticed her limping about a week ago, her foot is very swollen and red. We have soaked her foot in epsom salt multiple times with not much improvement.. given her baby aspirin (no more than 3 days in a row), nutridrench, wrapped her leg in antibiotic ointment, plucked leg feathers thinking maybe it could be an ingrown feather.. nothing has worked. She is now rapidly declining. We saw a cyst looking lump on her foot and after trying everything we figured we would try to extract the “cyst”.. nothing happened. She is now inside our house and separate from everyone else. Hasn’t eaten much the last two days and I haven’t seen her drink much water today. Her poop is almost yellowish and watery (assuming that’s normal considering she hasn’t eaten). I THINK she may be developing bumblefoot but I’m not quite sure anymore. Do bumblefoot symptoms occur weeks prior to the brown spot actually being visible..? We are at a loss with what to do with her. I have some sulfameth/trimethoprim 800/160mg tablets that I read can help treat staphylococcus, which I have heard is what causes bumblefoot. Can someone please give me some advice on what to do with her, and the dosage information on this antibiotic? Photos of her foot were taken last week.. photo of her in the shower was today... she does have water, tried giving her food (eggs, cat food, bread.. anything at this point) and she won’t eat. I also did put a towel down for her because she seemed uncomfortable.

Attachments

• 472F66D1-F694-4CB6-9ED2-8FFB89E36115.jpeg
    472F66D1-F694-4CB6-9ED2-8FFB89E36115.jpeg
    642.3 KB · Views: 29
  • B7E48BC8-A7B4-49DD-9525-1AE9DE140094.jpeg
    B7E48BC8-A7B4-49DD-9525-1AE9DE140094.jpeg
    483.8 KB · Views: 9
  • E81DEAB2-0D91-4205-83E7-8D808727AC53.jpeg
    E81DEAB2-0D91-4205-83E7-8D808727AC53.jpeg
    364.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 9E9ED581-7B56-44AD-A229-F6A843E502F7.jpeg
    9E9ED581-7B56-44AD-A229-F6A843E502F7.jpeg
    452 KB · Views: 10
I'm sorry for your loss. If in fact it was bumblefoot, once the infection gets to the legbone, there's nothing that can stop it. It quickly spreads throughout the system and death follows.

I have a hen who has been having leg issues for some time now. She is an about a year and a half old light brahma. We noticed her limping about a week ago, her foot is very swollen and red. We have soaked her foot in epsom salt multiple times with not much improvement.. given her baby aspirin (no more than 3 days in a row), nutridrench, wrapped her leg in antibiotic ointment, plucked leg feathers thinking maybe it could be an ingrown feather.. nothing has worked. She is now rapidly declining. We saw a cyst looking lump on her foot and after trying everything we figured we would try to extract the “cyst”.. nothing happened. She is now inside our house and separate from everyone else. Hasn’t eaten much the last two days and I haven’t seen her drink much water today. Her poop is almost yellowish and watery (assuming that’s normal considering she hasn’t eaten). I THINK she may be developing bumblefoot but I’m not quite sure anymore. Do bumblefoot symptoms occur weeks prior to the brown spot actually being visible..? We are at a loss with what to do with her. I have some sulfameth/trimethoprim 800/160mg tablets that I read can help treat staphylococcus, which I have heard is what causes bumblefoot. Can someone please give me some advice on what to do with her, and the dosage information on this antibiotic? Photos of her foot were taken last week.. photo of her in the shower was today... she does have water, tried giving her food (eggs, cat food, bread.. anything at this point) and she won’t eat. I also did put a towel down for her because she seemed uncomfortable.
Disregard post. She just passed away.

I'm sorry for your loss. If in fact it was bumblefoot, once the infection gets to the legbone, there's nothing that can stop it. It quickly spreads throughout the system and death follows.
Thank you. I wish we could have done more for her. I believe we caught it too late and it did in fact spread inside her body. Although, her foot never had any sores or infection in the bottom.. could it still be possible the infection was bumblefoot even though there was no clear infection site?

i know bumblefoot can be anywhere but once her foot blew up it didn’t seem to get any better or worse.

Back
Top Bottom