Sulmet ....subsitute...please help????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by AN, Sep 15, 2009.

1. AN

AN Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2009
    Texas-South of DFW area
    I posted on here about my sick grl, and was told to purchase Sulmet for her...well of course i can't find it where i live for chickens can this be subsituted http://www.tractorsupply.com/livestock/livestock-pharmaceuticals/sustain-iii-cattle-bolus-10-pack-drug-2208010
    It
    is the same ingrediante as Sulmet...but dont want to make her sicker than she already is. If i can use it how much should i give her. It is a HUGE tablet and thought i could grind it up and mix with her water.

Or is there something else i can get to give her.

2. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Sulmet should be available in any local feed store. TSC & Atwoods type places usually don't carry it. If you can find Corrid, (assuming you're trying to treat cocci?), you could use it.

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    There are a lot of the stores here that don't carry either sulmet or corrid (and look blank when you ask for it). I cannot find corrid anywhere.

What are you treating for? Sulmet treats a number of illnesses, but is not always the best choice. Personally I would not use a cattle bollus--too difficult to get the correct dose, and some of the sulfa drugs have a very narrow therapeutic range.

4. warmwater

warmwater Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2009
    I also could not find corid in my area.....I contacted Jefferspet.com and ordered it.....the corid arrived in two days. Hope this helps.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by