Sultans!

I did when they first came from the hatchery. I understand that anxiety will cause it. Is he being picked on? Or has he been with you only a short time? Right now, at 5 weeks, they're pretty clean. I think it was mostly the first 2-3 weeks and even then, I didn't wash them if their butt was clear enough to poop. I did cut off bulky pieces, but most of the time, the vent was clear , not stopped up. Only had that on a few of the chicks.

Ive had him for about two months now, I dont think he gets picked on, everytime I watch the chickens play, they all tend to get along. I do cut off the bigger chunks too. But really, I dont know what could be causing it. I was just thinking maybe it was the breed that had a problem with this or something?

Could someone please scan or photograph the American standard for sultans? I wonder what differences there might be.

This is from the old 1914 American Standard of Perfection:

Sultans.
They have for their most attractive characteristics the novel features of a full crest, muff and beard, combined with vulture hocks and profuse shank and toe feathering. These peculiarities should be most prominent in their form and outlines.
Disqualifications
Beak other than white or pale flesh color; large, red face; absence of beard; absence of vulture-hocks; shanks not feathered down outer sides.
Head: Medium size
Beak: Short, well curved
Nostrils: Large
Eyes: Oval
Comb and Crest: Comb, very small having two spikes, V-shaped. Crest large globular and compact.
Beard: Very full, joining whiskers and extending to crest
Wattles and Ear-Lobes: Wattles, small, round. Ear-lobes, small, round, concealed by crest and whiskers.
Neck: Short, arched, carried well back
Wings: large, carried low
Back: long and straight
Tail: Large, well expanded, rather erect
Breast: Deep and prominent
Body and Fluff: Body, very square, compact, carried low
Legs and Toes: Thighs, very short, well feathered with long vulture hocks; shanks, short, heavily feathered down outer sides; toes, five on each foot,; straight middle and outer toes well feathered

Color of male and female
Beak:
Slaty blue (I think this is a mistake?)
Eyes: reddish-bay
Comb and Face: comb bright red. Face, bright redbut covered by whiskers and almost invisible
Wattles and Ear-lobes: Bright red
Shanks and toes: Slaty-blue
Plumage: Web, quill and fluff of feathers in all sections pure white

Ive had him for about two months now, I dont think he gets picked on, everytime I watch the chickens play, they all tend to get along. I do cut off the bigger chunks too. But really, I dont know what could be causing it. I was just thinking maybe it was the breed that had a problem with this or something?

Maybe he has runny poop? Did you check to see if the vent is actually blocked? Even if some of mine have poop stuck to their backsides, they can still poop, as the vent itself is clear?? Do you put apple cider vinegar in their water? I still do that even for my oldest birds, and I dunno, I've had no health problems so far (knock on wood)

Maybe he has runny poop? Did you check to see if the vent is actually blocked? Even if some of mine have poop stuck to their backsides, they can still poop, as the vent itself is clear?? Do you put apple cider vinegar in their water? I still do that even for my oldest birds, and I dunno, I've had no health problems so far (knock on wood)
Yes, ive checked the vent, and Ive even washed him several times. I havent tried the apple cider vinegar, maybe that is something I will try tonight. Unfortunately, I am taking care of a chicken that was shot with a 30/30 on Sunday. The bullet grazed the wing, removed some of its primary feathers, and got a decent chunk of meat from his arm. Hunters thought he was a darned turkey or a quail. Hes a barred rock rooster, so I guess his coloring is a little dark? But do you have any suggestions for this situation?

I know it! But hes eating, and drinking, and topping hens again, so I think hes already on the road to recovery...I hope! Thanks, Ill check out that section. How are your sultans? Mine is absolutley hating this cold weather! It is the most cuddliest chicken I have ever owned!!

Well, mine are still chicks, and they're a little skittish. I think that's mostly because whenever I come by and open the door or something, one jumps and they all react. But if I stay there and talk to them, they start coming back. It's sort of like they have panic attacks, LOL. They are definitely calmer than my other birds, including my Seramas. They're very cute and a little ditzy, LOL. I can't wait to have my coops and runs finished. I plan on having them in the largest section with the Seramas, with a table and chair so I can sit around with them and watch them be silly :) It's going to be fun!

Back
Top Bottom