Sumatra gender help...updated pics

Wow a 50 bird coop :love my boyfriend would just die :gigI would have so much fun! I thought about ordering them online from a hatchery but they all have minimums and even if you meet that minimum you still have to meet an even higher minimum or they send you packers! And then I’ll not want to get rid of all of the packers and I’d really be in trouble.

But I would love to add another Sumatra. Especially since poor Birdie is a lone wolf. She likes to do things the others can’t like fly up onto things and other silly Sumatra things that silkies just can’t do. I know she’d love having a Sumatra friend. Maybe when I can expand my coop.

The coyotes around here are very bad. They go up and down our street constantly. It’s such a battle. During the day it’s the hawks and then at night it’s the coyotes and raccoons among plenty others. That’s when I really feel a rooster would benefit but I just can’t have one where I live. Already thought about a crow-collar if one of my babies is a roo.

I’m thinking of at least maybe using a dog play pen during the day. One that has a top on it and use it like a tractor so they can graze and I can move it around. It’s actually been raining here the past week and every time I go out they’re doing this dance like....:wee...but literally looks just like that. I have this feeling they’re trying to get my attention because they want to come out and go look for worms. Do chickens have instincts that when it rains they know it’s a good time to look for worms?!! Sounds crazy but it sure seems like it. Birdie is clucking extra loud by the door while doing the dance as the silkie watches and tries to mimic her lol
Yeah I would love to try a hatchery but I know about the minimum which stops me most of the time. This spring I thought about trying Ideal hatchery because they only have a 25 dollar minimum and you can mix and match breeds. The predators around here usually pick up in winter and spring but more so winter because of no food. Yeah definitely use a dog crate as a tractor of some sort so they feel like they graze some. I'm sure to some degree there is an instinct that rain equals more bugs. My chickens stay out in the rain if it's a light rain but any heavier and they're under vehicles and whatever else they find. I sometimes have a problem of one Sumatra trying to sleep in the trees. I don't let them because sometimes I can hear owls outside at night and chickens don't have good night vision. What are some of the future breeds you want to get? There is a breeder of Sumatras called Sky High Sumatras sometimes she sells show quality birds and pet quality birds too. Are there other farm animals like goats or cows?

Yeah I would love to try a hatchery but I know about the minimum which stops me most of the time. This spring I thought about trying Ideal hatchery because they only have a 25 dollar minimum and you can mix and match breeds. The predators around here usually pick up in winter and spring but more so winter because of no food. Yeah definitely use a dog crate as a tractor of some sort so they feel like they graze some. I'm sure to some degree there is an instinct that rain equals more bugs. My chickens stay out in the rain if it's a light rain but any heavier and they're under vehicles and whatever else they find. I sometimes have a problem of one Sumatra trying to sleep in the trees. I don't let them because sometimes I can hear owls outside at night and chickens don't have good night vision. What are some of the future breeds you want to get? There is a breeder of Sumatras called Sky High Sumatras sometimes she sells show quality birds and pet quality birds too. Are there other farm animals like goats or cows?

I’m totally open to other breeds. But of course it’s hard when you get used to the ones you have. I still really want an EE or Americana. Anything else I am open to.

Funny about the Sumatras flying in the trees. Where I live there is not a lot else other than palm trees aside from one olive tree. Not sure if Birdie is that good of a flyer! But I wouldn’t put it past her.

No other farm animal. We sadly can’t due to our HOA. In fact I don’t think you can have chickens either but my neighbor has a ton! They’re custom coop is HUGE and amazing. Like as big as my room lol. So I felt the HOA really can’t complain if I have a few. And the original seller of our house I heard had a mini pig that lived in his shed?! Weird I know. I do believe my neighbor had to get rid of their roos though. I used to hear caca-doodle-doing at 4am for like a year and then one day it stopped. I assume someone few drew the line and complained. In all fairness when I say neighbor they are not like right next door. They are down the street and our properties and somewhat large for Southern California so those roos were loud! Not that I cared. They were nice alarm clock to me! I would like a horse, or at least a mini horse bc they are so cute. But I’m happy with my chicken. I’m also pregnant and have 4 dogs, 2 of which are super high drive shepherds so I really am in no position for a horse ha!

I’m totally open to other breeds. But of course it’s hard when you get used to the ones you have. I still really want an EE or Americana. Anything else I am open to.

Funny about the Sumatras flying in the trees. Where I live there is not a lot else other than palm trees aside from one olive tree. Not sure if Birdie is that good of a flyer! But I wouldn’t put it past her.

No other farm animal. We sadly can’t due to our HOA. In fact I don’t think you can have chickens either but my neighbor has a ton! They’re custom coop is HUGE and amazing. Like as big as my room lol. So I felt the HOA really can’t complain if I have a few. And the original seller of our house I heard had a mini pig that lived in his shed?! Weird I know. I do believe my neighbor had to get rid of their roos though. I used to hear caca-doodle-doing at 4am for like a year and then one day it stopped. I assume someone few drew the line and complained. In all fairness when I say neighbor they are not like right next door. They are down the street and our properties and somewhat large for Southern California so those roos were loud! Not that I cared. They were nice alarm clock to me! I would like a horse, or at least a mini horse bc they are so cute. But I’m happy with my chicken. I’m also pregnant and have 4 dogs, 2 of which are super high drive shepherds so I really am in no position for a horse ha!
It's always just one Sumatra who wants to be difficult and not sleep in the coop with everyone else. I definitely wouldn't put it past her if she decided to sleep in the trees. Yeah It sucks when you get that one person who doesn't like the crowing of roosters at 3 or 4 in the morning and wants to ruin it for everyone else to enjoy. I personally don't mind it either but my chickens don't do that too often. I would love to get some gamefowl but I know they have to be house a little different than regular chickens because they will fight with each other. Whiney is actually a gamefowl rooster but by temperement he is very sweet and doesn't fight a lot.

11563239-0599-40BA-9C94-788ECEE64C9F.png
0BD2DC81-0293-43DB-9E56-68E2F125E447.jpeg
AD94B56C-E549-4D00-A2A9-E9C0CC898B68.jpeg
0BD2DC81-0293-43DB-9E56-68E2F125E447.jpeg
94225567-E392-4307-8DBE-B1D03EC7ED0D.jpeg
AD94B56C-E549-4D00-A2A9-E9C0CC898B68.jpeg
It's always just one Sumatra who wants to be difficult and not sleep in the coop with everyone else. I definitely wouldn't put it past her if she decided to sleep in the trees. Yeah It sucks when you get that one person who doesn't like the crowing of roosters at 3 or 4 in the morning and wants to ruin it for everyone else to enjoy. I personally don't mind it either but my chickens don't do that too often. I would love to get some gamefowl but I know they have to be house a little different than regular chickens because they will fight with each other. Whiney is actually a gamefowl rooster but by temperement he is very sweet and doesn't fight a lot.

Even the hens will fight? I know rooster Sumatra will fight or so I’ve read. Aren’t they related to gamefowl? I forget.

I had them all out today to roam while I worked in the garden and cleaned their coop after a heavy rain. Almost forgot how bad their coop get stinky even with DE! They loved being out. But also ditched the poor baby silkie. I also fed them cashews. Birdie almost pecked my nose and my fingers off.... getting all crazy pecking me head to toe for more. It’s her favorite and only snack she likes. The other likes them too but not like Birdie does.

I also have them all a bath :lau haven’t done it since they were tiny chicks. They all felt very betrayed. The silkies didn’t look like silkies when wet and hid until they dried off and fluffed back out. I think they were embarrassed. For a good reason too. They looked so funny. Not sure why Birdie hackled up so much today. She kept getting randomly annoyed by the silkies ‍♀️her hackled up made her look like a turkey lol

Oh and she grew her tail feathers back yay!

View attachment 1647141 View attachment 1647135 View attachment 1647138 View attachment 1647135 View attachment 1647137 View attachment 1647138

Even the hens will fight? I know rooster Sumatra will fight or so I’ve read. Aren’t they related to gamefowl? I forget.

I had them all out today to roam while I worked in the garden and cleaned their coop after a heavy rain. Almost forgot how bad their coop get stinky even with DE! They loved being out. But also ditched the poor baby silkie. I also fed them cashews. Birdie almost pecked my nose and my fingers off.... getting all crazy pecking me head to toe for more. It’s her favorite and only snack she likes. The other likes them too but not like Birdie does.

I also have them all a bath :lau haven’t done it since they were tiny chicks. They all felt very betrayed. The silkies didn’t look like silkies when wet and hid until they dried off and fluffed back out. I think they were embarrassed. For a good reason too. They looked so funny. Not sure why Birdie hackled up so much today. She kept getting randomly annoyed by the silkies ‍♀️her hackled up made her look like a turkey lol

Oh and she grew her tail feathers back yay!
Do you have them in a shady area or do they get sun in their coop? More than likely she's just bullying the silkies over the food too. Sumatras retain a lot of their wild instincts compared to other chickens and another name for them is Sumatran Pheasant. Yes some people like to cross Sumatra into some gamefowl they breed. Nevermore the black hen is a bully sometimes over food and her space. The native people on the island where they come from would fight the roosters during breeding season and then let them go when the breeding season was over and the roosters will go back to co existing. I let mine roam sometimes too at like 2 to 3 week increments because I don't want anything to happen to Whiney. She does look a little iffy in the neck feathers but I'm still positive it's a pullet. Melon's neck looks very rooster but has no comb. My chickens favorite snacks are mealworms and crickets when we get some. What are some of the other breeds you want to try?

Do you have them in a shady area or do they get sun in their coop? More than likely she's just bullying the silkies over the food too. Sumatras retain a lot of their wild instincts compared to other chickens and another name for them is Sumatran Pheasant. Yes some people like to cross Sumatra into some gamefowl they breed. Nevermore the black hen is a bully sometimes over food and her space. The native people on the island where they come from would fight the roosters during breeding season and then let them go when the breeding season was over and the roosters will go back to co existing. I let mine roam sometimes too at like 2 to 3 week increments because I don't want anything to happen to Whiney. She does look a little iffy in the neck feathers but I'm still positive it's a pullet. Melon's neck looks very rooster but has no comb. My chickens favorite snacks are mealworms and crickets when we get some. What are some of the other breeds you want to try?
Funny because it always seemed like the silkie was the bully but after looking more at them I realize the silkie follows birdy around everywhere. Seems like they bully each other a bit! I sure hope she’s a pullet!

Their coop is in the shade. It does get sun, just not all day long, especially this time of year.

I’d like to try an EE or Americana. I really want a porcelain d'uccle! In fact the feed store said they were getting them in. They ended up with Sumatras somehow. That’s how I ended up with Birdie. I’m still learning my breeds and learning there are so many breeds! Honestly I’d try any of them. I tend to be drawn to the ornamental breeds but it would be so nice to just treat them like chickens and not have to worry about them so much since they’re so small. So maybe next I go with a non-bantam breed.

Funny because it always seemed like the silkie was the bully but after looking more at them I realize the silkie follows birdy around everywhere. Seems like they bully each other a bit! I sure hope she’s a pullet!

Their coop is in the shade. It does get sun, just not all day long, especially this time of year.

I’d like to try an EE or Americana. I really want a porcelain d'uccle! In fact the feed store said they were getting them in. They ended up with Sumatras somehow. That’s how I ended up with Birdie. I’m still learning my breeds and learning there are so many breeds! Honestly I’d try any of them. I tend to be drawn to the ornamental breeds but it would be so nice to just treat them like chickens and not have to worry about them so much since they’re so small. So maybe next I go with a non-bantam breed.
They probably do bully each other quite a bit to establish a hierarchy. I have 3 true amreacauna and multiple easter eggers and 1 home grown olive egger and 1 olive egger I bought at the flock swap and a small flock of bantams and they all sleep in one coop. Birdie just really like those sun beams. Lol The hatchery where your farm store got their chicks may not have had porcelain duccles and they had sent the sumatras instead. Sometimes my local feed store doesn't always have what is on the chick list. I really want to try some ornamental breeds and some orietanal games too. but for right now I'm trying to get the rainbow dozen eggs to sell.

They probably do bully each other quite a bit to establish a hierarchy. I have 3 true amreacauna and multiple easter eggers and 1 home grown olive egger and 1 olive egger I bought at the flock swap and a small flock of bantams and they all sleep in one coop. Birdie just really like those sun beams. Lol The hatchery where your farm store got their chicks may not have had porcelain duccles and they had sent the sumatras instead. Sometimes my local feed store doesn't always have what is on the chick list. I really want to try some ornamental breeds and some orietanal games too. but for right now I'm trying to get the rainbow dozen eggs to sell.

Yeah the chick list is always iffy. Half the time something else comes in. But I really hate going to the feed stores. The chicks are too tempting!

And Birdie is such a crack up. I always call her as I’m walking out my front door and I see her doing her little dance and does her bak bak bagaaaaaakk. She’s so loud. The silkie used to be the talkative one. Birdie never got a word in. Now I rarely hear the silkie. Birdie can talk to herself for hours I swear.

After she does her long begaaawwk I go up to their run and mimic her and we cluck back and forth with one another until I remember not only is their coop/run not far from my neighbor’s house, but I’m also outside talking to a chicken :idunno They’re just too funny though. I also enjoy chicken watching. They do the silliest things. Would love to have more chicken and different breeds since every breed seem to have their funny quirks.

Yeah the chick list is always iffy. Half the time something else comes in. But I really hate going to the feed stores. The chicks are too tempting!

And Birdie is such a crack up. I always call her as I’m walking out my front door and I see her doing her little dance and does her bak bak bagaaaaaakk. She’s so loud. The silkie used to be the talkative one. Birdie never got a word in. Now I rarely hear the silkie. Birdie can talk to herself for hours I swear.

After she does her long begaaawwk I go up to their run and mimic her and we cluck back and forth with one another until I remember not only is their coop/run not far from my neighbor’s house, but I’m also outside talking to a chicken :idunno They’re just too funny though. I also enjoy chicken watching. They do the silliest things. Would love to have more chicken and different breeds since every breed seem to have their funny quirks.
For awhile I never really understood the appeal to having a bird as a pet like the parakeets and other small birds until I got chickens 6 years ago. Now I don't think I won't ever not have chickens around. I see how people say their like their own version of therapy. My sumatras sometimes talk to me but not often. Yes I agree that every breed has it's own quirks because they do. I don't like really flighty breeds like Egyptian Fayoumi's and leghorns. The sumatras are an exception though because I love them so much otherwise I wouldn't have them. I really like having friendly breeds like buff orpingtons and barred rocks and even the ameraucanas. I also enjoy having a a mixed flock too of bantams and standards. I would love to try peafowl because they are so pretty with those beautiful tails. Do you watch homesteading videos on youtube? If you do you should check out White House on the Hill.

For awhile I never really understood the appeal to having a bird as a pet like the parakeets and other small birds until I got chickens 6 years ago. Now I don't think I won't ever not have chickens around. I see how people say their like their own version of therapy. My sumatras sometimes talk to me but not often. Yes I agree that every breed has it's own quirks because they do. I don't like really flighty breeds like Egyptian Fayoumi's and leghorns. The sumatras are an exception though because I love them so much otherwise I wouldn't have them. I really like having friendly breeds like buff orpingtons and barred rocks and even the ameraucanas. I also enjoy having a a mixed flock too of bantams and standards. I would love to try peafowl because they are so pretty with those beautiful tails. Do you watch homesteading videos on youtube? If you do you should check out White House on the Hill.
I usually don’t youtube a lot but I every now and then I will and get sucked in for hours. I’ve watched a few homestead videos, mostly from homesteaders with big YouTubers channels. Might have to check out White House on the hill!

And totally agree with the whole chicken thing. I am a city girl and most people know me as a really girlie girl. They almost fall out of their chair when they ask what I did this weekend and I tell them cleaning stuck poop and feathers out of my chicken’s coop :gig. And like you a few years ago I didn’t see myself owning chickens. I mean I saw chicks in a dumpbin at the feed store for weeks and eventually asked one of the workers to help me get everything I need for them. Next thing you know I’m outside in freezing cold weather past midnight re-enforcing a coop, hanging out with them after work, and spending my Saturdays bathing them lol.

Most people don’t get it and question me on owning chickens. Or tell me I can buy eggs for less work and money than having chickens. People don’t understand the appeal to having them. And as repetitive as they are, I very much enjoy chicken watching and just hanging out with them. Even if they spend 99% of their time scratching and pecking. It’s still fun to watch. It’s so hard to explain to people. The joy from owning chickens...you just don’t understand unless you have them!

And Birdie is extreamly talkative. Sometimes I wish she would shut up actually. Lol. She keeps getting louder and louder. Even flying up your head trying to hint she wants treats. The 2 other chicken don’t get a peep in with her blabber mouth. But if I’m not around she’s fairly quiet. I think she’s usually being extra because she wants me to bring her cashews or almonds, her favorite. She has expensive taste.

I would like to try a breed that likes people more. I love my Silkies but they are just soo scared of everything. Any Sumatras only like you for food haha. Both very sweet though. I almost got a lavender orpington a few weeks ago. When we were passing the chicks in the bin my boyfriend just looked at and said don’t you have enough?! I don’t! He still remembers when I originally told him I only was going to get 2. Now I have 3. But 3 is nothing! But if I want more I do need a bigger coop.

Back
Top Bottom