Sumatra Thread!

Post some pics when they hatch it would be nice to see some more Sumatra chicks.

Those chicks i hatched last year, they were my first ever hatch.Sid and Bruce came from that clutch.

chicklettesarge so sorry mate on Tuesday i sent a brown one over to England to my dad to be killed. But don't worry it wasn't as good as Bruce. if you want ill breed Bruce with my hen with the brown feather and ill keep them for a while and give you the best looking one. you could have it for free long as you pay for shipping. I do live in Ireland, would it be a bit far tho?
yea im tryin to talk my school into doing the USDA quarentene deal... the school is already under USDA regs so all it would be is getting aproval from the man....i think?

yes Raph,
in Europe there actually are quite a few people breeding true brown red birchen sumatras. Yours isnt quite right on the color, needs more red, but it's a good start bird towards it. Like was said earlier, some people 150 + years ago decided black was all there should be, then they decided blue was OK too. Doesnt matter that they came in a array of colors to start with. Dead peoples opinion of what a bird should look like has never bothered me one bit. I DONT CARE haha. I breed for what I like and could care less about others opinion of it, so by all means if you like it, who cares if people say it's correct. If it's pure to the breed type, then that's what it is and I'd certainly breed for it.

So far I have brown red, and just got a few new ones in thanks to a hook up from Champ sumatra, also working on bb reds, red pyles, barred, blue and dun barred, dun, khaki, and a few others I plan to start this year too. Variety always is nice to me. So if YOU like it,,, man I'd keep it and breed for it. You'll find that lots of folks like new stuff too

Thanks, I cant wait to breed some chicks with my trio of Sumatra's, I Got two hens on Friday so this is my first breeding trio of Sumatra's I'm anxious to get breeding
I would love to make a silver laced Sumatra it would look awesome. I'm 12 so I have many years ahead of me to try make this new colour.
Happy Easter everyone.

yes Raph,
in Europe there actually are quite a few people breeding true brown red birchen sumatras. Yours isnt quite right on the color, needs more red, but it's a good start bird towards it. Like was said earlier, some people 150 + years ago decided black was all there should be, then they decided blue was OK too. Doesnt matter that they came in a array of colors to start with. Dead peoples opinion of what a bird should look like has never bothered me one bit. I DONT CARE haha. I breed for what I like and could care less about others opinion of it, so by all means if you like it, who cares if people say it's correct. If it's pure to the breed type, then that's what it is and I'd certainly breed for it.

So far I have brown red, and just got a few new ones in thanks to a hook up from Champ sumatra, also working on bb reds, red pyles, barred, blue and dun barred, dun, khaki, and a few others I plan to start this year too. Variety always is nice to me. So if YOU like it,,, man I'd keep it and breed for it. You'll find that lots of folks like new stuff too

ar eyou working with LF or bantys?

with the exception of a trio of dun, everything I have is bantam Sarge

once I get a second and some good weather, I'll get some pics of the new brown reds that came in on here. They arent "perfect" yet put pretty darm close.

Last edited:
Thanks, I cant wait to breed some chicks with my trio of Sumatra's, I Got two hens on Friday so this is my first breeding trio of Sumatra's I'm anxious to get breeding
I would love to make a silver laced Sumatra it would look awesome. I'm 12 so I have many years ahead of me to try make this new colour.
Happy Easter everyone.
you have plenty of time then haha

that would look nice for sure. I'm working on laced in the phoenix too.
if you could find a silver laced old english or sebright, you could rob the color from there, well if you wanted large fowl it might be better to find a bigger breed. But as many times as you'll have to back breed to sumatra, it really wouldnt matter, you'd be back up to size once the type was fixed anyway.
any how, just cross black to laced. Next year back cross those chicks to each other to get your best color out of them.
take the best laced from these now and repeat the process to fix the type again.
generally takes about 4 generations to complete, by going this route, you'd be looking at an 8 year project to get decent sumatra type in a silver laced color

with the exception of a trio of dun, everything I have is bantam Sarge

once I get a second and some good weather, I'll get some pics of the new brown reds that came in on here. They arent "perfect" yet put pretty darm close.
Do those brown reds happen to be from James smith here in arizona. I have one brown red hen from him who is broody.

sarge what do you think a silver laced sumatra would look like?
Good or bad?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom