Sumatra Thread!

if you wash the birds 3 days in advance & use 2 rinse waters, first rinse with a little vinegar added - to cut all the soap film, then final rinse water add a few drops of glycerin, it will work as well - or better- than the Show Sheen. Put them on clean bedding after their bath, until show time, I set up show cages for this, as it keeps them cleaner as they dry & gets them "cage trained" to boot, so that they do not stress at the show. They will clean & preen feathers as they dry & work the natural oils back into the feathers in no time & be beautiful at the show hall. We live in Iowa & I always wash the birds before shows. This time of year I just have to wash inside in the bath tub instead of out doors, then I set up drying cages in the garage & turn space heaters on. Works well for me. :)

yes I have about 12 sumatra hens right know. And I have too many roosters to count.
smile.png
not trying to be mean as I think you misspoke but
I doubt you are getting 12 dozen eggs a day from
12 hens..........you would not be able to get 12 eggs
a day from 7 hens either........hens just don't lay that
many eggs in a day.....surely you meant you get 12
eggs per day from your 12 hens
smile.png

Last edited:
if you wash the birds 3 days in advance & use 2 rinse waters, first rinse with a little vinegar added - to cut all the soap film, then final rinse water add a few drops of glycerin, it will work as well - or better- than the Show Sheen. Put them on clean bedding after their bath, until show time, I set up show cages for this, as it keeps them cleaner as they dry & gets them "cage trained" to boot, so that they do not stress at the show. They will clean & preen feathers as they dry & work the natural oils back into the feathers in no time & be beautiful at the show hall. We live in Iowa & I always wash the birds before shows. This time of year I just have to wash inside in the bath tub instead of out doors, then I set up drying cages in the garage & turn space heaters on. Works well for me. :)
sounds like some good tips DEE......thanks

A minorca hen i drew last night.

thanks for the advice, my art teacher told me about a art exhibition next month, i think i will attend.

I'm looking forward to this show, it will be my first show.

Last edited:
Raph r u interested in picking up any more birds at Sussex? I have some Sumatras that I need to rehome and a dark Cornish bantam cockerel

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom