Sumatra

Quote:
Unfortunately the only colors recognized by the APA is Black and Blue. No other color. They worked on the Blues for many years and had to bring oooooodddles of them to Tenn to get approval. It's a long hard road but they are beautiful birds. Good luck to you with that endevour... certainly a worthwhile cause!!!!
smile.png
Lots of pretty birds on THIS thread!!! lol

This is my boy Majestic and some of his girls - Pinkie took BOB at the Arcadia show over 2 other breeder's birds.

51116_majestic_at_night.jpg

He is still a bit redder than I would like due to a high corn diet with the cold. So we are working on that as any red on the face is BAD and even red in the wattles looses points.

We are trying to get the Sumatra Association to make the APA Inverness (Florida) show in the fall a Specialty Meet - maybe we could get a BUNCH of Sumatra folks together!!! That would be fun - I know of 4 that will be showing there!!! The more the merrier....... any one else game....

Last edited:
Quote:
Unfortunately the only colors recognized by the APA is Black and Blue. No other color. They worked on the Blues for many years and had to bring oooooodddles of them to Tenn to get approval. It's a long hard road but they are beautiful birds. Good luck to you with that endevour... certainly a worthwhile cause!!!!
smile.png
Lots of pretty birds on THIS thread!!! lol

This is my boy Majestic and some of his girls - Pinkie took BOB at the Arcadia show over 2 other breeder's birds.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/51116_majestic_at_night.jpg

He is still a bit redder than I would like due to a high corn diet with the cold. So we are working on that as any red on the face is BAD and even red in the wattles looses points.

We are trying to get the Sumatra Association to make the APA Inverness (Florida) show in the fall a Specialty Meet - maybe we could get a BUNCH of Sumatra folks together!!! That would be fun - I know of 4 that will be showing there!!! The more the merrier....... any one else game....

I would like to get to that point. We are just starting and want to show more then we have. These guys started as a 4-h project and is growing to be a much bigger project. A APA judge told me that the duns are well on their way to getting recognized. I hope to find out more about this soon.

You know sad to state, but 3 khaki hens and a roo sold 2 weeks ago at the ocala auction for $10 - $15 each! A Black Roo went for $17.50.

Is any one showing at the Pensacola show May 22? I'm thinking of taking some of my girls there. Would love to swap notes and be able to see more of these guys side by side.

Quote:
So I hear. Speaking of which, where did you get them? Also, I believe there's a breeder in WA...

I got them from a lady in Lady Lake, Florida who was getting out of chickens. I found some past references to her here on old forums when it came to the duns. I bought them not knowing that they could not be shown but I was so taken with their beauty. I am loooking for all knowledge I can learn about the breed. I want my boys to learn the right way so I have to make sure I learn as well as they do.

Hello All,

I've just been lurking and learning since deciding to try and hatch some Sumatras.

I just recieved (12) BBS Sumatra eggs from Gabbard Farms today!

They'll be going in the oven tomorrow night!

Back
Top Bottom