Summer, 7 months old Australorp and still no eggs?

Monika S

Songster
11 Years
Jun 5, 2012
I thought Australorp were supposed to be early egg-layers, but I have one that is at least 6, if not 7 months (they told me she was 4 when I got her, but I've been wondering if she was a little younger cause she's still not laying)... still no eggs. I give her a layer feed, oyster shells and treats, so good food and still nothing. i checked everywhere thinking she might lay in an unusual place instead of her box, but no. I also have 4 younger ones , but they're only 3 months old.

Last edited by a moderator:
The center one is Monster (the chick in question). The one that is supposed to be 7 months old now. The bottom two pics show her with the rest of the flock. Their Birthdate is 6-07-2012 (so they're just about 3 months old)

and no they did not eat the Hornworm and yes I've learned they're not supposed to have them...lol.. my chickens knew that before I did.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got to agree with Chooks, she is definitely prime to lay if she hasn't been hiding them. Keep her locked up with the nest boxes so she gets the idea. Put fake eggs or golf balls in the box. I have 2 Australorps 5 months and nowhere near where your the red color of your girl. She has to be any day.

Nope, not really a place for her to hide them. She does get out in the garden at times and I checked all over even IN the dirt (thinking she might scratch dirt over them)... There are 3 nest-boxes in the coop, which is open all day long. She goes nuts if I lock her in it other than night time though, but she does go in it during the day at times. I put woodcihps in the boxes, should I try straw instead? I will try putting a golf ball in the nest box and see. :-(

Nope, not really a place for her to hide them. She does get out in the garden at times and I checked all over even IN the dirt (thinking she might scratch dirt over them)... There are 3 nest-boxes in the coop, which is open all day long. She goes nuts if I lock her in it other than night time though, but she does go in it during the day at times. I put woodcihps in the boxes, should I try straw instead? I will try putting a golf ball in the nest box and see. :-(

She will not have a preference on the nesting material but the way a chicken thinks is if she sees another egg(or golf ball) it must be a good place to lay. But she will lay when SHE is ready. No coercion is going to help. So locking her in a nest box won't help.My previous post said lock her in WITH the boxes not IN them, she is really really close. Having three kids and waiting 9 months for their birth 5 months is a walk in the park.

Last edited:
Oh I would never lock her in a nest box anyway..they're open in the coop... I would consider locking her in a nest-box abuse.. If anything I would lock her into the coop (which I do at night time), but she doesn't like being in it once daylight hits though and waits anxiously (with the others) for being let out.. but I did put a golf ball into the nesting box and we will see what happens..Thanks for all the input!!!

Well, now she's 8 months old and I'm starting to think she will never lay an egg. :-( Golf ball trick didn't work.

This may be true. I have a Welsummer who has laid only 3 eggs in almost 2 years. It took her 15 months to lay her first egg. How disappointing is that? Just plain sucks!!

Back
Top Bottom