Oh, forgot to mention... part of the problem may well have been that we haven’t been offering any grit stuff. Their portable coop IS open bottom though so they are on the natural ground and dirt is available under the winter-dead lawn. The coop gets moved around the yard on an every-other-day-or-two basis. But perhaps the dirt is too fine and isn’t gritty enough for gizzard-grinding?

Oh, forgot to mention... part of the problem may well have been that we haven’t been offering any grit stuff. Their portable coop IS open bottom though so they are on the natural ground and dirt is available under the winter-dead lawn. The coop gets moved around the yard on an every-other-day-or-two basis. But perhaps the dirt is too fine and isn’t gritty enough for gizzard-grinding?
I’m not sure how your soil is, but it may be too find to help in the grinding process. Grit is pretty cheap, I offer it at all times just in case- it can’t hurt.

I’m not sure how your soil is, but it may be too find to help in the grinding process. Grit is pretty cheap, I offer it at all times just in case- it can’t hurt.
Thanks leighks, I’m going to check at our local Agri Co-op feed store and see about getting some grit for them.
I wonder, does oyster shell work in a gizzard the same as grit?

Thanks leighks, I’m going to check at our local Agri Co-op feed store and see about getting some grit for them.
Oyster shell is offered as calcium for laying hens. You need separate grit for digestion.
In the meantime, what are you doing for her crop? Can you give her coconut oil or olive oil & massage it, or is even that too painful?

I researched that question when I got my chickens- grit is insoluble, oyster shells dissolve- so they need both. Hope that helps w the crop problem!!

Oyster shell is offered as calcium for laying hens. You need separate grit for digestion.
In the meantime, what are you doing for her crop? Can you give her coconut oil or olive oil & massage it, or is even that too painful?

It hurts her pretty bad. She generally doesn’t mind my handling her but if I just touch her crop just a little bit she makes a pretty strong effort to get away along with vocalizing. The mass isn’t huge nor tight but is about the size of walnut or so.

Back
Top Bottom