Sunflower seeds

calicokat

Songster
10 Years
Apr 2, 2009
azalia, indiana
We grew sunflowers in our garden this summer and I've dried out the heads. We're picking out the seeds and storing them in canning jars as a treat for the winter.

My question is, do we have to do anything else or just feed them the seeds as they are? Some are big seeds, some are the small black ones, we have a variety.

Well, I know the BOSS can be fed whole...thats what I give mine as a treat and a litter churner. The others I realy dont know about the seed casing, but the insides are fine for them.

Just give them to the chickens like that. They will figure it out. (I have seen one of my hens actually break shell and eat the inside only.)

It's fine. Mine seem to inhale the entire seed regardless of the size. At the end of the summer I stuck entire sunflower heads in their run. They pulled the seeds out themselves. Saved me the work and they seemed to enjoy it.

You could sprout them if your worried about the shells. Sprouts are supposed to be healthy and here in winter there is no natural greens.

Back
Top Bottom