Sunflower Seeds

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Featherland, Jun 24, 2008.

1. Featherland

Featherland Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    Missouri
    If a chicken eats regular sunflower seeds that are in the hull, will it break done the hull enough to get the benefit of the protein in the seed? I am looking for food to grow that has a high protein content. Also, does anyone know of anything else that I could grow that is high in protein?

2. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    And while we are discussing this, is there any difference between regular "sunflower seeds" and Black Oil Sunflower Seeds?

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Mine do not eat the hulls. They crack the shell and eat the seed. When I give them a scoop of BOSS in the morning when I go back in the afternoon I see all the little black hull halves.

4. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Mine eat the hull - and I've never inspected a poop to see if the shell comes out or if it comes out whole... [​IMG]

5. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    The scratch I buy has hulless sunflower seeds in it. They go CRAZY for it. We give them BOSS once in a while, too. They just crack them and eat the insides. [​IMG]

6. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    Sorry, I'm still not quite sure, what is the difference between BOSS and SS?[​IMG]

When I was little we fed the wild birds sunflower seeds, but had never heard them called "black oil sunflower seeds". Is that a special variety of sunflower seed? Does it mean it's just still in the shell?

7. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    BOSS is the most common type of sunflower seeds in the wild bird feed.

8. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    "Black oilers" are just smaller all black sunflower seeds. The other kind of sunflower seed that people and birds eat are the larger gray and white striped kind. Either one is fine to feed, hull and all.

My girls eat the seeds whole.

9. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Ok then ... what about salted sunflower seeds? Is that safe?

10. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    No, salt overloading a small system like a chicken's would be very unwise.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by