Sunflowers in the vegetable garden. Ok or no way?

Birdsong 82

Free Ranging
6 Years
Aug 17, 2017
Virginia
I’m probably thinking way too much into this, but that’s what I do especially when it comes to my plants. It’s been far too many years since I’ve planted sunflowers in the vegetable garden. I know sunflowers can be tough around other plants, but I wanted to plant a couple in my vegetable garden this year. Will it affect my veggies if I spaced them apart a few feet from them? I don’t want to chance hindering my harvest but I would love some sunflowers in there.
Any thoughts
(like I said, I’m probably thinking way too much into this)

I wouldn't risk it if you rely on your garden for food.

What about growing them in above ground containers that you put in your veg garden?

You'd have to make sure to clean up any dropped leaves from the ground and be sure to harvest the heads before seeds drop.

Below is from a Master Gardener Article on the University of Georga's Extension page.

George Weigel, a Pennsylvania Certified Horticulturist and journalist, claims the sunflower has natural plant chemicals (sesquiterpene lactones) which serve as a defense mechanism for fending off competitors. It works well enough that scientists have researched sunflowers as an herbicide for weed prevention. Some even claim it will inhibit poison ivy growth.

I wouldn't risk it if you rely on your garden for food.

What about growing them in above ground containers that you put in your veg garden?

You'd have to make sure to clean up any dropped leaves from the ground and be sure to harvest the heads before seeds drop.
I guess i don’t depend on it fully but I’m used to not having to purchase vegetables during spring/ summer. I have my shorter sunflowers out back but I wanted to finally plant a couple mammoths. About 9-12 not much and about 5’ from tomatoes and cucumbers
But if it puts me at risk I’ll skip them … they just make me smile and it’s been a rough year and need a smile
I harvest any seeds from sunflowers for my chickens and my daughter

Below is from a Master Gardener Article on the University of Georga's Extension page.

George Weigel, a Pennsylvania Certified Horticulturist and journalist, claims the sunflower has natural plant chemicals (sesquiterpene lactones) which serve as a defense mechanism for fending off competitors. It works well enough that scientists have researched sunflowers as an herbicide for weed prevention. Some even claim it will inhibit poison ivy growth.
I’m one of those lucky ones that could roll in poison ivy and wouldn’t affect me
Plus my goats have cleared most any on the property. It’s a delicacy to them.

I’m probably thinking way too much into this, but that’s what I do especially when it comes to my plants. It’s been far too many years since I’ve planted sunflowers in the vegetable garden. I know sunflowers can be tough around other plants, but I wanted to plant a couple in my vegetable garden this year. Will it affect my veggies if I spaced them apart a few feet from them? I don’t want to chance hindering my harvest but I would love some sunflowers in there.
Any thoughts
(like I said, I’m probably thinking way too much into this)
I have always planted sunflowers in my vegetable garden. I've never had any problems either. I don't know if it's what is planted beside the sunflowers makes the difference or not?? Good question though!! I just always have.

Well I’ve tried gum and traps ( traps never activated cause it just looks like they just keep rerouting it seems)
This afternoon after work I found half my cucumber sprouts dead and 40% and bean sprouts struggling ( a lot) dead. And mole tracks EVERYWHERE!!!!! Some of my tomatoes that are 2-21/2 ft tall I can tell are definitely feeling the effects
This is the worst
And those damn spotted bean beatles aren’t helping but I’m used to battling them at least but idk what to do between the 2
But my garden means alot to me and I’m not taking it well

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom