Super cold weather!

Here in Southern Ohio too. I’m so tired of rain I could scream! I’m watching the deer at the feeder right now and they look pretty miserable.

Hey, quick question for you cold weather folks - my pullets are all looking a little pale yesterday and today. No symptoms of illness, and they are all eating like stevedores and playing normally, they’re just a little pale around their faces (combs, wattles, and facial skin). They’ve not had any weird food or treats, no exposure to any chemicals, etc. their feet are not pale and they are all warm like normal. I’m just wondering if it’s from the cold snap. Do I need to add some Nutridrench or probiotics to the water when the temps drop like a rock?
I have RIR's, thankfully a cold hardy breed. I've been giving them corn and mealworms about an hour before sunset. They've been doing fine through this crazy cold weather and egg production is about normal. Corn stays in their gullets longer and the protein in the mealworms help them deal with the cold as well.

Here in Southern Ohio too. I’m so tired of rain I could scream! I’m watching the deer at the feeder right now and they look pretty miserable.

Hey, quick question for you cold weather folks - my pullets are all looking a little pale yesterday and today. No symptoms of illness, and they are all eating like stevedores and playing normally, they’re just a little pale around their faces (combs, wattles, and facial skin). They’ve not had any weird food or treats, no exposure to any chemicals, etc. their feet are not pale and they are all warm like normal. I’m just wondering if it’s from the cold snap. Do I need to add some Nutridrench or probiotics to the water when the temps drop like a rock?
I just started the Nutri-Drench in their water, I take out a small bowl and let them drink all they can, then bring it in to keep warm. They do have their big water bowl as a back up, but it has been freezing quickly. We are here in Central Ohio and temps are very cold. I wanted to give the chickens some extra nutrition, it certainly can not hurt. I also give them some scratch corn right before they go in to the coop to roost for the night to give some extra warmth.

Some of mine also look pale, and others are brighter red. They are all 4 months old, so i’m Thinking they aren’t mature yet ... not sure.

We've been pretty chilly here in Minnesota, too. I have insulated my coop with straw and keep the pop door open all the time for ventilation unless nighttime temps are expected to go below zero. The attached run is locked and very predator proof. The food and water are in the run and I have covered the north and west walls of the run with plastic to block any wind. I'm not concerned about windchill since everyone can go into the coop to get out of the wind. It got down to about -10 the last couple of nights so I closed the pop door on the coop once the girls went to roost. They did fine and were eagerly waiting to come out into the run in the morning. I don't use supplemental heat but have added a lot of extra straw to the run and coop for them to snuggle in. The big test will be in a few days when our overnight temps will be -25 or so. I give the girls sunflower seeds, cracked corn and mealworms mid-afternoon and warm oatmeal in the morning for a treat. So far so good!

Here's a link to my coop if you want more info on how I insulated the coop. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/cozy-rustic-pallet-coop.74648/

I think I might order some from amazon... The girls are doing well so far, but we are supposed to get more frigid weather. We got two metal waterers and heated bases at the beginning of the winter and they’re saving me a LOT of work! I am so glad we made the investment!
I use a metal waterer with a heated base and the base is working great. I'm wondering, though, if it will keep the water from freezing when it gets to that -20 range. Any thoughts? If not, I'll pick up another waterer and switch it out if needed.

I use a metal waterer with a heated base and the base is working great. I'm wondering, though, if it will keep the water from freezing when it gets to that -20 range. Any thoughts? If not, I'll pick up another waterer and switch it out if needed.
I use a plastic heated dog dish in my coops. So far, they have kept up wiht the cold. (I've been using them for many years.)

I've kept a waterer outside all winter here in Maine . Cold since Nov. -20 to -30 over night never frozen. Just unplugged it last week as it's been so cold the girls won't come out and 14-16" of snow covered it. LOL.

All I do is a double check of everything. Is the food full, is the water thawed, is the coop door secure, is the bedding clean/dry/full, is everyone there and active and perky by day, is everyone in the coop on the roost by night? That's it. They do just fine. Chickens can't feel the "wind chill" when in their coops, there is not wind inside, the temp is the temp.

Yeah, I’m wondering that too. I can haul water out from the house, but am reallllly hoping those bases can keep up!

Back
Top Bottom