Super hard egg shells

punkgirrl

In the Brooder
11 Years
Sep 22, 2008
My girls have been laying a few months. They are making eggs with super hard shells. You do not need a hammer but you have to put some power into opening them. Is this normal or am I giving them to much of something? thanks for the help.

Quite normal! People are so used to the weak egg shells that store bought eggs have that they are usually surprised at how strong egg shells should be!
big_smile.png

After a while you get used to the hardness of the egg shells. If you ever go back to using store-bought, remember not to whack them as hard... Could get pretty messy. Not that it happened to me or anything...
hide.gif

I ate my first three fresh eggs yesterday for breakfast and was wondering the same thing. But when they broke it was a nice even line. Good to know its normal

I always think of super hard egg shells as a good thing. My girls were the same way on their first few months of laying - We'd have jokes back and forth on what you have to do in order to break em!
lau.gif

They have softened up a little since then to a normal strength now (certainly not as weak as store eggs, but a nice good strength) that they're older.
smile.png

I'm okay with the hard shells but they seem to shatter and I'm forever picking bits of shell out of my scrambled eggs. Any suggestions for someone with an egg-breaking handicap?

Mary

I was also surprised at how hard fresh egg shells are compared to store bought. Don't worry, it's very normal!
smile.png
Just don't try to crack a store bought with the same force you crack fresh eggs. One more thing, when I fry eggs up now I crack it into a bowl now because I had one out of about 200 that had blood in it, that is also normal, like I said one out of about 200...
hmm.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom