1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Super hard egg shells

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by punkgirrl, Mar 26, 2010.

1. punkgirrl

punkgirrl Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2008
    My girls have been laying a few months. They are making eggs with super hard shells. You do not need a hammer but you have to put some power into opening them. Is this normal or am I giving them to much of something? thanks for the help.

2. gvntofly05

gvntofly05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2009
    IN
    Quite normal! People are so used to the weak egg shells that store bought eggs have that they are usually surprised at how strong egg shells should be! [​IMG]

3. punkgirrl

punkgirrl Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2008
    Thank you so much for the answer. I was hoping that was what it was.

4. eac04

eac04 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2010
    After a while you get used to the hardness of the egg shells. If you ever go back to using store-bought, remember not to whack them as hard... Could get pretty messy. Not that it happened to me or anything... [​IMG]

5. rubyrogue

rubyrogue Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    I ate my first three fresh eggs yesterday for breakfast and was wondering the same thing. But when they broke it was a nice even line. Good to know its normal

6. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    I always think of super hard egg shells as a good thing. My girls were the same way on their first few months of laying - We'd have jokes back and forth on what you have to do in order to break em! [​IMG]

They have softened up a little since then to a normal strength now (certainly not as weak as store eggs, but a nice good strength) that they're older. [​IMG]

7. wvgal61

wvgal61 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    Troutman, nc
    Quote:Very tasty wasn't it [​IMG]

8. fiberart57

fiberart57 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Colorado
    I'm okay with the hard shells but they seem to shatter and I'm forever picking bits of shell out of my scrambled eggs. Any suggestions for someone with an egg-breaking handicap?

Mary

9. trunkman

trunkman Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2009
    Rock Hill SC
    I was also surprised at how hard fresh egg shells are compared to store bought. Don't worry, it's very normal! [​IMG] Just don't try to crack a store bought with the same force you crack fresh eggs. One more thing, when I fry eggs up now I crack it into a bowl now because I had one out of about 200 that had blood in it, that is also normal, like I said one out of about 200...[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 26, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by