Oct 14, 2021
A few days ago I noticed my buff orpington was acting a little slower than usual. She has been getting worse and it looks like she's having weird bathroom troubles. She strains a lot and only a little comes out and it looks "snaky". I don't believe she is eggbound unless the egg might have broken or something, and I checked her vent and it doesn't look like she has a prolapsed vent either. It looks like there's a bit of blood or flesh or something in the manure which I didn't see till I took the picture.

I'm considering deworming her. I did try to give her calcium citrate but had no one to help me and so she kept wrenching her head away. It looks like she's not eating or drinking anymore either. Some help would be very appreciated as our chickens seem to have been dying one by one lately.

Attachments

• 2FE01C67-D175-46FA-BE1D-A4F7EC69D058.jpg
    2FE01C67-D175-46FA-BE1D-A4F7EC69D058.jpg
    655.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 9099729E-3849-47E9-9785-D3379F96F41F.jpg
    9099729E-3849-47E9-9785-D3379F96F41F.jpg
    626.7 KB · Views: 5
Poor girl, that poop does not look good. The dark bits might be from bile from not eating enough if it looks greenish or it could be digested blood if it's black/brown. I also see a bit of fresh blood in there.... It's possible worms are a problem and if you haven't dewormed recently I probably would give that a try. Coccidiosis is rare in adult birds if there have been no new additions/exposures, but it's a possibility with bloody poop. If you have a vet nearby they might be able to test the poop and take some of the guess work out of treating her. Another possibility is that she ate something bad that's either made her sick, caused an infection, or caused a blockage. If she's an older hen she could also have cancer or something that's starting to affect her digestive system.

I'd try to ensure she keep's hydrated and maybe see if she's interested in some wet mashed food. Then treat based on what you think is the most likely problem and/or whats available to you. Hope she gets better... Let us know how she does

Poor girl, that poop does not look good. The dark bits might be from bile from not eating enough if it looks greenish or it could be digested blood if it's black/brown. I also see a bit of fresh blood in there.... It's possible worms are a problem and if you haven't dewormed recently I probably would give that a try. Coccidiosis is rare in adult birds if there have been no new additions/exposures, but it's a possibility with bloody poop. If you have a vet nearby they might be able to test the poop and take some of the guess work out of treating her. Another possibility is that she ate something bad that's either made her sick, caused an infection, or caused a blockage. If she's an older hen she could also have cancer or something that's starting to affect her digestive system.

I'd try to ensure she keep's hydrated and maybe see if she's interested in some wet mashed food. Then treat based on what you think is the most likely problem and/or whats available to you. Hope she gets better... Let us know how she does
So she ate a bit of scrambled egg which was good, and I made her drink some water. But she died this morning. Last night she was breathing quickly and shortly and I had a feeling she wouldn't make it. The deworming stuff was supposed to arrive today so I was praying she'd make it until then. One of the other hens has similar problems and has had them for a while so I'm going to deworm the flock especially since it's spring and they were shut up in the coop for a long time during blizzards. Thank you for your advice.

So she ate a bit of scrambled egg which was good, and I made her drink some water. But she died this morning. Last night she was breathing quickly and shortly and I had a feeling she wouldn't make it. The deworming stuff was supposed to arrive today so I was praying she'd make it until then. One of the other hens has similar problems and has had them for a while so I'm going to deworm the flock especially since it's spring and they were shut up in the coop for a long time during blizzards. Thank you for your advice.
Sorry for your loss. I hope deworming helps your other girl.

Back
Top Bottom