Super sized egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by DLCShark, Oct 13, 2014.

1. DLCShark

DLCShark Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2014
    Take a look at these pics of the very first super jumbo egg. It makes the biggest "regular" egg look tiny. I weighed it and it was almost double the size.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've narrowed down the producer to my big black sex link or the not so big RIR.

2. BriardChickens

BriardChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2014
    Northern Alberta
    Wow, is it a double yolker?

3. blue2jade

blue2jade Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2014
    I bet it is! I've had a few that were bigger than my other eggs (although not quite that large) and they were almost all double yolkers.

4. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    I had eggs that were 112 grams and 123 grams. The 112 gram one turned out to be more than a double yolker - it was a complete double egg inside one shell. It had two outer whites, two inner whites, and two yolks. The two eggs were kinda connected by the white stringy thingy (sorry, I know what it's called but I can't spell it.). The 123 gram egg was weird - it was actually a bit smaller in appearance than the 112 but seemed more dense when I weighed it. I checked the scale twice. It ended up having 3 yolks.

[​IMG]
    This one seemed a little smaller, but actually weighed more and had 3 yolks.

[​IMG]
    Both of them....the 112 is on the left, the 123 on the right..

[​IMG]
    Two complete eggs in one.....wish I hadn't nicked the yolk with a shard of eggshell though.

[​IMG]
    The 112 gram egg. Both of these eggs were laid by our little Red Sex Link, Ida, just a few days apart. When we got the first one, the 112 g, my husband said, "How are you gonna find out which one laid it?"
    "That's easy!" I replied. "We'll just go out and see which one is limping!" (Actually I knew she laid both because I was out there working both times. I cheated.)

5. DLCShark

Mar 18, 2014
    Well this one didn't break a hundred grams but it was plenty big in my opinion. Here's a scale pic.
    [​IMG]
    I'll snap a opening pic when it's time to eat eggs. :)

6. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Yep, that's definitely a big egg! Be fun to see if it's a double.....[​IMG] I'll wait patiently until you post a pic.

7. DLCShark

Mar 18, 2014
    Got another one today that was from the RIR hen that was just under 70g.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by