Superior Farms ordering .... any successes?

My point was I ordered from them because of the bloodline and quailty but what good did it do for me.. Nata I didn't even want half to hatch I was hoping for at least 6 that I could use for the show. knowing that they were shipped eggs I knew the risks involved . lesson learned it would be great if I got another 6 eggs to try again but I see that's no gonna happen

Quote:
I ordered from them back in Dec. so my order would be here for sure in early April and I could get some good bloodlines to mix with my stock.

Of course, it's too late to order elsewhere this time of year. It does really mess you up if you are looking for breeding stock.
sad.png

Glad my breeder pens are not built.
sad.png
sad.png

Quote:
if you want a guaranteed hatch don't get shipped eggs buy local, your hatch could have been that bad for anyone from this site even, there is not a guaranteed hatch rate for any eggs period, I've a teacher that I supply eggs for and last years hatch sucked out of 2 batches of eggs she got 0 to hatch, and the other teacher also, It was not the eggs in both cases it was the 'bator's but both knew that there is always a possibility of 0. and the kids know it too. that's life there is only two guarantees life and death, everything else is unknown.

I bought some large fowl cochins from a guy here locally. He ordered a ton of chicks and eggs. Out of all the eggs he set, none of his hatched...but he gave me a dozen, and I hatched 1. The chicks are doing great. I have a total of 11-- 6 black and 5 partridge. I am glad to have these guys, and wish I had more room or I would have bought more of each variety. From my research, their cochins are nice quality. Hopefully I end up with a least a trio of each variety. It really sounds like there were problems with the eggs, but chicks seem to be the way to go if you wanted stock from them this year. I hope they have better luck next year. They do have good stock.

Last edited:
Well I guess I should chime back in on this thread also since I spoke up for Danny much earlier in the thread And don't get me wrong I still think Danny is a super guy to deal with but I have set a total of 72 eggs from Superior Farms this year, and I have 10 chicks to show for it. Granted the first order of large fowl Cochin eggs went to PA instead of coming to MS where I live and where in transit an extra 3 days but Danny sent me another batch of LF Cochin eggs was supposed to be 6 Silver Lace Cochin, 6 Barred Cochin, 6 Buff Cochin, and 6 Blue Langshans, Well out of this last batch I have hatched 2 white chicks and they are white not buff. 2 Black Cochins and 1 black and 1 blue Langshan and I don't live halfway across the country from him. So in my opinion they are just having some major fertility problems with their older birds. I finally just gave up and went to the source where Superior Farms got their Giant Cochins and got some chicks from him they came in today and I have 36 beautiful fluffy Giant Cochins running around in a brooder as happy as can be.

Would I buy from Superior Farms again. You bet as soon as they get their younger birds up and going as rodriguezpoultry says they are doing, I wouldn't hesitate. Just my 2 cents worth.

And I am happy with the birds I did hatch from them just wish there had been many more from that amount of eggs.

I will buy from them again when they have their flock issues taken care of. 1 chick out of 48 tho is not good for business. Danny was always very nice to deal with.

I have big plans for this one lone bird!! lol Fingers crossed for a hen but we know how that goes
wink.png

You did better than I did Jim
smile.png

Quote:
Hi rodriguezpoultry
I am very happy with the luck you had with your eggs and chicks from Superior Farms. It may just be a few select breeds that they are having there fertility problems with. If you dont care for me asking what breed or breeds did you get form them and what hatching % rate was you able to get from there eggs.

I picked up eggs for another breeder who I owed a favor too.

They got silver laced Wyandottes and White Cornish. The white Cornish are being AIed last I heard.

She had 8 out of 12 eggs developing from the Cornish and 5 out of 6 Wyandotte developing last I heard.

The way I see it...it's the P.O. They can take a perfectly good egg and ruin anything that's inside of it. It is only the responsibility of the farm to get a good fertility rate. Condition of the eggs and hatchability are directly related to the person incubating the eggs. I know I'm going to get creamed for that comment. Fertility is their responsibility. Replacing eggs is just good business practice and a way to get a good reputation. It is not their fault that eggs are being broken in transit and contents ruined from transit as well. If there was no sign of fertility at all, that's a different story.

My bird, the blue Langshan pullet was one of the birds that I purchased a while back. I also had a VERY nice Black Orpington but she was killed in the labrador break-in.
sad.png
I miss that little girl...she was too cool.

As the temps rise in Oklahoma, the fertility will decrease at the farm, so take that for what it's worth.

Well, I've been raising chickens and hatching eggs for years, and I know all about what can go wrong with ordered eggs: I know about rough shipping and broken air cells, etc, and I've gotten various hatch rates from shipped eggs. I've shipped a lot of eggs myself also, and I know what's involved on the other end. But I also know a fresh egg vs. an old egg, and my vision is 20/20. And I can honestly say that the second batch of eggs I got from Superior looked very old. When cracked, these looked like eggs in an old hidden-out nest that a hen has forgotten about for weeks. When you crack them, there is a foul smell, and the contents are watery and brownish-tinged. A couple were beginning to weep when I pulled them out of the box, which is why I even cracked them. The P.O. can do many things, but they can't turn a fresh egg into a rotten one when there's no breach of the shell and when shipping time has been only a few days. I am not blaming anyone, or casting aspersions. I'm just telling the truth. Anyone is welcome to make of it what they will.

Quote:
Then THAT is not acceptable. Hatchability is a different story but when the eggs are rotten there's an issue that needs to be taken care of AT the hatchery. Can't blame that on the PO.

Back
Top Bottom