Supplemental Feeding of Japanese Beetles Using a Low-cost Bio-attractor

I am now trying to quantify consumption of Japanese Beetles by juvenile chickens. They appear capable of consuming at least 30 in a bout. Multiple bouts of feeding appear to be the norm but do not know how many bouts or if the number consumed per bout is consistent.

Another variation on this is in the works. I am setting up an old 10 x 10 chain link dog kennel over area that is to be a garden next year. It has a small stand of ragweed in it. Generally, ragweed is not considered to be of much value. I may have found a use for it as a location to more effectively concentrate the beetles in area easy for the chickens to pick through. The chickens typically loaf much of the day when the beetles are flying, yet they have a hard time passing up a beetle that is very close by. I am going to set up so the loafing area is essentially the same area the beetles concentrate in over in response to the lures.

Another observation of chicken ranging habits is getting more worthy of note.

This pen roughed in to attract Japanese Beetles. Still needs roost and cover to keep GHO's out.
20180722_080910.jpg

Pen placed over clump of ragweed.
20180722_081008.jpg

Black half pipe provides cover from direct sun. It is likely the ragweed will be sufficient as cover from direct sun but just in case.
20180722_080959.jpg

Hotwire perimeter will be installed after church.

Beetles are flying heavy now. Interval between beetles consumed per feeding chicken is less than 15 seconds. Beetles are coming in faster than 12 birds can eat them. Duration of feeding bouts and their number will be interesting to determine.

Back
Top Bottom