Supplemental Feeding of Japanese Beetles Using a Low-cost Bio-attractor

By the way, when I said the beetles have been much fewer "here" this year... I meant here at my property, not "here" being an hour south of Jeff City.

As I mentioned some folks I've talked too around this area have been saying the beetles are as bad as last year... that is not what I'm observing on my place, and I think that is because they are using lure traps and I am not.

By the way, when I said the beetles have been much fewer "here" this year... I meant here at my property, not "here" being an hour south of Jeff City.

As I mentioned some folks I've talked too around this area have been saying the beetles are as bad as last year... that is not what I'm observing on my place, and I think that is because they are using lure traps and I am not.
Beetles are not bad on my personal property where chickens are kept. Grapes, apple trees and rose bushes are barely touched. When I put lures out beetles beging streaming in from off property within minutes. Most appear to be in the upper 2/3's of trees everywhere.

Most of the beetles of interest to me are otherwise not even landing on property I control unless lures are used. This flow of life you need to see to believe, or maybe just look to see.

Beetle abundance is dropping off fast and cold snap is not helping. I am will be stopping collection efforts shortly. What is really cool is the chicken feces collected below the elevated pens. Next year I will be setting up to take advantage of the bounty to supplement use of the expensive feeds used for chicks and juveniles. Next year I will begin culling flock back for freezer camp when the beetle abundance drops off. Lures will also be put out about two weeks earlier than done this year.

But why...why is it "really cool"??
Iis there value there worth harvesting or just a sanitation issue??

There is definitely value there, Aart! My daughter and I have chickens and a garden. We compost the litter from the chicken house for a year (it's too "hot" to use immediately) and once it's broken down, use it for garden fertilization.

Value! Just wait. Too many other things some first, with most fish related that tie into this so well.
:rolleyes:

There is definitely value there, Aart! My daughter and I have chickens and a garden. We compost the litter from the chicken house for a year (it's too "hot" to use immediately) and once it's broken down, use it for garden fertilization.
Well, yeah, I know that.....but this is special poop so figured there's another use......and it's centrarchid so...

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:SMH.

Back
Top Bottom