Supplemental Feeding of Japanese Beetles Using a Low-cost Bio-attractor

Some may say I am as I answer in this case I choose to state those are Japanese beetles which without any human changing their life patterns they would be born , live & die somewhere in Japan. Common sense tells me leave them where they are at , what I would do should have little to nothing to do with your plans. I realize some places in our country u may have to help your flock by such methods. I am lucky in Florida & 1 1/3 acre fenced in , I do a lot of gardening plus we have bugs,worms,frogs etc. galore in the swamp so all they gotta do is go get um.

Device above may be able to pay for itself. Lure that last most of season costs about $4.25. It brings well over 100 lbs beetles that can actually be trapped and much more the chickens can glean from foliage and pen walls around traps. Quantifying this still a problem.

My original lure is loosing it's juice. I brought more from the expended traps used in trials. Beetle flow immediately picked up. Many beetles are caught when they land on chicken wire sides of pen. Birds outside pen gleaning beetles off the ragweed. Characteristics of vegetation can be really important, but will visit that next year.

20180717_162446.jpg

We left the spent lures in the truck this morning while giving a tour to the USDA Ag Discovery kids. Truck windows were open. Result was almost like a swarm of bees. The kids were grossed out while my son said "that is just my dad's truck and it is like that all the time".

I am now trying to quantify consumption of Japanese Beetles by juvenile chickens. They appear capable of consuming at least 30 in a bout. Multiple bouts of feeding appear to be the norm but do not know how many bouts or if the number consumed per bout is consistent.

This pen roughed in to attract Japanese Beetles. Still needs roost and cover to keep GHO's out.
20180722_080910.jpg

Pen placed over clump of ragweed.
20180722_081008.jpg

Black half pipe provides cover from direct sun. It is likely the ragweed will be sufficient as cover from direct sun but just in case.
20180722_080959.jpg

Hotwire perimeter will be installed after church.

Beetles are flying heavy now. Interval between beetles consumed per feeding chicken is less than 15 seconds. Beetles are coming in faster than 12 birds can eat them. Duration of feeding bouts and their number will be interesting to determine.

Back
Top Bottom