Support Group for Abused Duck Keepers

Do you guys think the ducklings are old enough to have a small swim yet? I know how to acclimate ducklings to swimming, I just don’t know if they’re old enough. They were hatched January 29 so they’re almost around 2 weeks old
I know i let mine have a tiny bit of warm water it didnt even go up to their bellies at around 2 weeks

I was letting Figgy have a swim in the shower while I was cleaning her area and noticed some pink bumps on her feet? Is this bumblefoot or something else? And how do I fix and prevent it?
1707612340696.jpeg

1707612367399.jpeg

Do you guys think the ducklings are old enough to have a small swim yet? I know how to acclimate ducklings to swimming, I just don’t know if they’re old enough. They were hatched January 29 so they’re almost around 2 weeks old
I put mine in the tub in nice warm water just up to top of their legs to start. They were around a week old.

I was letting Figgy have a swim in the shower while I was cleaning her area and noticed some pink bumps on her feet? Is this bumblefoot or something else? And how do I fix and prevent it?
View attachment 3745142
View attachment 3745144
Looks like Bumble do you have any drawing salve? you can soak her foot in warm Epsom salt water dry them after slathering on drawing salve cover with no stick bandage then vet wrap it. Let it stay on for at least 2 days then remove and post back pictures since they are small still, you might get by without opening them up. When they have scabs though sometimes you can work the scab off and get the infection out. But I'd try using the drawing salve beforehand.

Looks like Bumble do you have any drawing salve? you can soak her foot in warm Epsom salt water dry them after slathering on drawing salve cover with no stick bandage then vet wrap it. Let it stay on for at least 2 days then remove and post back pictures since they are small still, you might get by without opening them up. When they have scabs though sometimes you can work the scab off and get the infection out. But I'd try using the drawing salve beforehand.
I’ll ask my dad if we have any, we have epsom salt, but what what are the specific materials called again that I need? Also is all the pink parts bumblefoot

On the bottom picture see the tiny scabs, where those scabs are your those are the bumbles. One on one side of her foot the other one on the other side.
there is a drawing salve called PRID probably TSC carries it and then there is Ichthammol drawing salve I am pretty sure TSC carries it too. And there is Epsom Salt Poultice also so hopefully out of those 3 you will be able to find one to use.

What do no stick bandages look like and is vet wrap an item or a way of wrapping and what type should I buy. Also is any epsom salt good? And would it benefit her if I put her feet in epsom salt water today and then do it again when I get the rest of the stuff in a day or two?

You can buy vet wrap at TSC and Coban at places that sell pharmacy items. The same thing one for animals the other for humans. I buy the vet wrap at TSC it's wide and I cut whatever size strips I need to use. When you go to the store go where the bandaids are they will have the non stick gauze pads.
Just use plain Epsom salt not the ones that have fragrance. Yes use what you have then do the rest once you get the items you need. This is a staff infection so be sure to start treatment as soon as you can.

You can buy vet wrap at TSC and Coban at places that sell pharmacy items. The same thing one for animals the other for humans. I buy the vet wrap at TSC it's wide and I cut whatever size strips I need to use. When you go to the store go where the bandaids are they will have the non stick gauze pads.
Just use plain Epsom salt not the ones that have fragrance. Yes use what you have then do the rest once you get the items you need. This is a staff infection so be sure to start treatment as soon as you can.
Thank you for the help! Here’s Figgy drying off, she’s so pretty and soft after baths
1707625185513.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom