Support Group for Abused Duck Keepers

Pics
Oh boy, don't remind me... I'm going to have to be on permanent watch duty at my local lakes for the abandoned easter babies.
Spent so long trying to catch a pekin last year, and failed. She's gone now. Freaking foxes. And freaking people impulse buying ducks for Easter :(
Seriously. It’s sickening

MUSCOVYYYYSSS
they are amazing
I love them
The only problem is that muscovy math is like chicken math x10
I totally agree with Muscovy. My male though got to be 15 pounds and abused my hens so he had to go down the road. Females are quiet though unlike my Khaki, Rouen, Mallards and even my drake Calls. They are all very vocal so if you want peace and quiet ones, Muscovy is the way to go. My Hens are very quiet but my oldest one is very bossy. Good luck with your choice.

And the really painful part is we are both on the right side of the Canada-US border... AGHhhh!

But I would need to move somewhere with a bigger lot to dig a bigger pond... (That is by no means a "no" ) but it means it won't be in this clutch.... :) But I will be back to this idea! ❤️
Sounds good
I have no plans on getting rid of her so lots of time

T

They're beautiful! I have so little luck with these types of plants. How do you do it? 🥺

Neglect, and good light. Watering schedules are also the quickest ways to kill them I've found. Everything depends on the season, the soil and the plant itself. Some of mine don't get watered for two months, while some need watering very frequently in the summer and spring. Paying attention to what your plant is telling you is key

Posting here because my thread is probably dead by now (plus I appreciate the fact that you all care)

Depending on what any of my other ducks look like, will I at any point need to pull a scab out if its just in an early stage? I'm so awful, squeamish, etc at anything medical hah so I'm really hoping I won't have to. I've spent the morning doing a little extra research and now I'm wondering if there are any ways of going about treatment without tweezers or scissors at the end of the process? I know @BelovedBirds said something about just the epsom soaks (I'll do like 20 mins per duck with only epsom salt, I don't have Iodine or anything) and then spraying vetericyn or applying Neosporin, right?
I'm gonna confess now, in the 4 or so years I've had ducks I've only treated this once with a 20 minute epsom soak a day for a week, nothing else, and it seemed to work I think but I wasn't very confident.

Yes I’ll definitely wait till then. I would love to rescue and help some ducks in need. People don’t understand what type of care needs to go into them. They think they are all cute and fuzzy forever. But they aren’t small forever
I believe the expression is "preaching to the choir"!

Oh boy, if a group of people unite in the theme of "understand what type of care needs to go into them" ! It is us! (giggle)

YEAH 😅 they need a lot more care than you think they do when you pick up those fuzzy little angels.

(But seriously) you are the real angel in taking in the little dictators and giving them a beautiful healthy loving home :) AND a flock! Many people have just the one duck...

Posting here because my thread is probably dead by now (plus I appreciate the fact that you all care)

Depending on what any of my other ducks look like, will I at any point need to pull a scab out if its just in an early stage? I'm so awful, squeamish, etc at anything medical hah so I'm really hoping I won't have to. I've spent the morning doing a little extra research and now I'm wondering if there are any ways of going about treatment without tweezers or scissors at the end of the process? I know @BelovedBirds said something about just the epsom soaks (I'll do like 20 mins per duck with only epsom salt, I don't have Iodine or anything) and then spraying vetericyn or applying Neosporin, right?
I'm gonna confess now, in the 4 or so years I've had ducks I've only treated this once with a 20 minute epsom soak a day for a week, nothing else, and it seemed to work I think but I wasn't very confident.
It depends on the extent, its based around the infection itself
If the bumble is large, it's very important that the infection is dealt with- which means opening it via scab or by lancing, emptying it out and using triple antibiotic and wrapping to help it heal.
If its early days, which yours seem to be, I often hear this isn't necessary- and in my experience, soaking their feet, and treating with vetercicyn, adding a dab of drawing salve or neosporin, seems to do the trick. It seems to prevent infection from properly taking hold.
If it worsens, the next step may be opening them- but I reckon they aren't too bad, based on the photos. I think you may get away with just doing the initial treatments

Back
Top Bottom