Support Group for Abused Duck Keepers

Pics
The babies are trying to be all edgy and are sleeping on top of the heat plate instead of under it. :rolleyes: :lau
Mine did that too, I TRIED to show them the manufacturer instructions and tried raising and lowering the plate to see if they could be convinced but it was no use, so I just figured out how to keep poo out of the vents and gave in.

They were just so clever at finding ways to get on top there was no use in trying to outwit them.

Mine did that too, I TRIED to show them the manufacturer instructions and tried raising and lowering the plate to see if they could be convinced but it was no use, so I just figured out how to keep poo out of the vents and gave in.

They were just so clever at finding ways to get on top there was no use in trying to outwit them.
The 1st few days they were under it. The temperatures have warmed up here recently so I think they just don't need it right now. It's so funny though, since they're using it the opposite of how it's intended.

It's so funny though, since they're using it the opposite of how it's intended
I suspect it is the first of many times they are going to be contrarians... Just a guess. ;)

I wonder if we would not be better off giving them a heat mat instead of an "above head" heat plate.

I know from living in an old (cold) house that no amount of blankets can make me comfortable on a cold mattress, but a really good blanket under me (aka mattress cover) will do the job. I sleep best with a heating blanket (electric) under me (between me and the mattress) than over me.

I usually put a wool blanket over the bed, under the fitted sheet in winter.

It is not what nature does, except that the hen will pluck out her down to plush up the nest... (She provides a wool blanket underneath)

Im curious, does anyone else give their ducks kisses? Or are y'all just boring and hygienic and stuff?
200.gif

I suspect it is the first of many times they are going to be contrarians... Just a guess. ;)

I wonder if we would not be better off giving them a heat mat instead of an "above head" heat plate.

I know from living in an old (cold) house that no amount of blankets can make me comfortable on a cold mattress, but a really good blanket under me (aka mattress cover) will do the job. I sleep best with a heating blanket (electric) under me (between me and the mattress) than over me.

I usually put a wool blanket over the bed, under the fitted sheet in winter.

It is not what nature does, except that the hen will pluck out her down to plush up the nest... (She provides a wool blanket underneath)
My brooder heat plate wasn't working brilliantly, so I'd set it a tad too high, and put a heat matt underneath the floor, it left a perfect temp with a bit of a gradient there to choose from.
Which helped due to the age gap.
I used a thermometer underneath and it was just perfect for them.

Back
Top Bottom