Support Group for Abused Duck Keepers

I put scotch tape over the crack, I don’t have a brooder so in whatever way nature will take its course.
Did you mean that you do not have an incubator? I have used a 40 watt bulb on a reading lamp in a styrofoam cooler with the lid on and a cup of water for humidity. The egg was on a dry wash cloth and I have been able to hatch out duck eggs before I got my incubator. My lamp was a clip on one that I made a notch in the top of the cooler lid and that kept the heat in. I hope that you are able to get it to hatch. Good Luck.

My Mallard Momma duck with the 4 ducklings had been keeping a secret from me. When I was in their pen I found 6 eggs hidden under the shavings! She was a foster Mom to the babies so I let her out and kept the babies in the pen. She went on her merry way and did not even look back as she is now with the rest of the flock where she can lay her eggs and I will gather them. The ducklings are doing fine without her and are getting big. I know there are probably at least 2 boys by the whistle and size of them. Hopefully they are not all boys as they will get rehomed if they are. I might keep the odd one out though as long as it is not too big because it's Daddy was the Black Swedish Call duck and I just pray it is a girl.

Did you mean that you do not have an incubator? I have used a 40 watt bulb on a reading lamp in a styrofoam cooler with the lid on and a cup of water for humidity. The egg was on a dry wash cloth and I have been able to hatch out duck eggs before I got my incubator. My lamp was a clip on one that I made a notch in the top of the cooler lid and that kept the heat in. I hope that you are able to get it to hatch. Good Luck.
I might try that if Bee pushes the egg out again. For now Bee is still brooding it and I’ve been checking it periodically, just checked it a few minutes ago and it’s still alive, I can see a lot of movement within and I think we’re nearing hatch day.
The other is definitely dead. I pulled it out this morning and opened it up to see what went wrong and it had started to decay already. The sad thing was it was close to hatching.

Bee is currently sitting on two additional eggs of Moonbeam’s which have begun development. I’m debating wether I’ll let Bee continue to try with them or calling it a season and ending it before they get any further along. She could bring them to hatch, but she’s so far been an awful mother and Moon doesn’t appear broody whatsoever.

I thought about putting them under my goose Delphi who’s trying her best to hatch unfertilized eggs, there‘s a 30% chance she’d crush it and a 70% chance she’d decide to eat it so probably not the best idea.

I might try that if Bee pushes the egg out again. For now Bee is still brooding it and I’ve been checking it periodically, just checked it a few minutes ago and it’s still alive, I can see a lot of movement within and I think we’re nearing hatch day.
The other is definitely dead. I pulled it out this morning and opened it up to see what went wrong and it had started to decay already. The sad thing was it was close to hatching.

Bee is currently sitting on two additional eggs of Moonbeam’s which have begun development. I’m debating wether I’ll let Bee continue to try with them or calling it a season and ending it before they get any further along. She could bring them to hatch, but she’s so far been an awful mother and Moon doesn’t appear broody whatsoever.

I thought about putting them under my goose Delphi who’s trying her best to hatch unfertilized eggs, there‘s a 30% chance she’d crush it and a 70% chance she’d decide to eat it so probably not the best idea.
Yes I think once the one hatches she might desert the other two eggs. My Hens usually did but this last time my Mallard was a first time adopted Mom and wanted to stay on the nest forever even thinking she could hatch out a fake egg! lol I had to get them from her as none were any good and one was rotten. If she is not a good Momma I would get the baby away from her right away and hatch the other two eggs myself. Just what I would do. Good luck with your decision and I hope you get some babies. I love my six.

Yes I think once the one hatches she might desert the other two eggs. My Hens usually did but this last time my Mallard was a first time adopted Mom and wanted to stay on the nest forever even thinking she could hatch out a fake egg! lol I had to get them from her as none were any good and one was rotten. If she is not a good Momma I would get the baby away from her right away and hatch the other two eggs myself. Just what I would do. Good luck with your decision and I hope you get some babies. I love my six.
Last year when Bee was broody she was introduced to Sunbeam and Moonbeam when they first arrived as hatchings, she’d already been sitting on the eggs for a month. She did not take to them at all which was a surprise, at first she was tolerant for about a hour, then she tried to kill them.
This time I‘m expecting the same and that I’ll take them as soon as they begin to pip because I don’t she’s changed much. It would be nice if she did, but I don‘t think she has.

I raised two little muscovie ducks JP and Sascha, from duckling

JP is very attached. When I come out at night with peas, jp comes up to me and has to have the first few peas eaten out of my hand.

One day I just was in a hurry so I just tossed some peas down for them.

All the other ducks went to town except Jp who just stood there staring at me, completely betrayed.

Normally she runs right over to greet me when I come out. But for 2 days she just ignored me and only came over when I showed the bag of peas

96A85B72-A63F-4DAA-9112-F1C046AF3D48.jpeg

Last edited:
I raised two little muscovie ducks JP and Sascha, from duckling

JP is very attached. When I come out at night with peas, jp comes up to me and ha I have the first few peas eaten out of my hand.

One day I just was in a hurry so I just tossed some peas down for them.

All the other ducks went to town except Jp who just stood there staring at me, completely betrayed.

Normally she runs right over to greet me when I come out. But for 2 days she just ignored me and only came over when I showed the bag of peas

View attachment 3523574

You disrespected the Queen

Back
Top Bottom