Support Group for Abused Duck Keepers

My sister has some ducks and for some reason something keeps taking them. They put up cameras but the ducks range a bit. They think its either a coyote or a raccoon. Ever since one of there dogs passed away its been happening. She guarded the ducks like crazy. Now they are down both of their male ducks and 2 females. They have 8 ducklings in the house but i feel bad...
That’s so sad

I worry when my dog passes
She is 12 and she watches her ducks all day
The last few weeks she has either been sleeping in the duck house or just outside it as I have a broody duck inside it
Somehow she knows and wants ti keep her safe

That’s so sad

The last few weeks she has either been sleeping in the duck house or just outside it as I have a broody duck inside it

I have an old mastiff who has been fantastic with my ducks. When they were in the house as ducklings, he put his head over the side of the tub, and one jumped up and nipped his nose. He didn't react at all; I was very proud of him. Always been a great watchdog even before we had ducks. Only complaint I've had is sometimes he thinks he's one of them and hops in the duck pool.

Unfortunately, he was diagnosed with bone cancer a couple months after I got my flock. He's been a good boy keeping watch over them the last year though. He made it a good 6+ months longer than the vet thought he would, but it's finally getting to be too much for him, so we've set-up an appointment to put him down later. I know some people don't like attributing human rationale/emotions to animals, but I'd like to think they'll miss his presence even if they don't fully realize it. :(

I have an old mastiff who has been fantastic with my ducks. When they were in the house as ducklings, he put his head over the side of the tub, and one jumped up and nipped his nose. He didn't react at all; I was very proud of him. Always been a great watchdog even before we had ducks. Only complaint I've had is sometimes he thinks he's one of them and hops in the duck pool.

Unfortunately, he was diagnosed with bone cancer a couple months after I got my flock. He's been a good boy keeping watch over them the last year though. He made it a good 6+ months longer than the vet thought he would, but it's finally getting to be too much for him, so we've set-up an appointment to put him down later. I know some people don't like attributing human rationale/emotions to animals, but I'd like to think they'll miss his presence even if they don't fully realize it. :(
I’m so sorry 😢
Such a hard choice to make but a very unselfish one allowing him to be free if pain and discomfort
I can bet they will miss him

I'm so sorry :hugs
I'm sure he's going to be very missed. :(

I planted watermelon , lettuce and pumpkin in an area they can get to it
I can block it for now but open it for later and they can go to town as it grows
I read everything is safe with those things
Leaves and stems included
My other stuff is up on my deck with a planter box they can’t get to
We have watermelon in the way back of our garage. But then we have lettuce, corn, sunflowers, tomatoes and onions to.

Sounds like your sister needs to have a predator proof enclosure in order to keep her ducks safe. Once predators get a taste they will return until the whole flock is gone. So sad for her ducks.
Ive told her this. But she still lets them free range to a certain area. It also apparently took there turkey last night. All there chickens are fenced jn there is no reason they cant do it for their ducks.

That’s so sad

She was 9-10years old and a Mastiff mix that was a rescue. She was declining but the vet said she was healthy. She use to walk the property until she got older then she just layed by the animals.

Im so sorry. He sounds like a amazing dog. He will surely be missed by everyone that had the chance to know him.

Back
Top Bottom