Support Group for Abused Duck Keepers

I have an old mastiff who has been fantastic with my ducks. When they were in the house as ducklings, he put his head over the side of the tub, and one jumped up and nipped his nose. He didn't react at all; I was very proud of him. Always been a great watchdog even before we had ducks. Only complaint I've had is sometimes he thinks he's one of them and hops in the duck pool.

Unfortunately, he was diagnosed with bone cancer a couple months after I got my flock. He's been a good boy keeping watch over them the last year though. He made it a good 6+ months longer than the vet thought he would, but it's finally getting to be too much for him, so we've set-up an appointment to put him down later. I know some people don't like attributing human rationale/emotions to animals, but I'd like to think they'll miss his presence even if they don't fully realize it. :(
Im so sorry!

So i tried building a filteration system for the ducks pool. That didn't last long they were running in and out of the water and bringing in sand.... i may be removing the sand. They just raised the water prices again in town.
Can i use red lava rock around the pool or should i get something else?

So i tried building a filteration system for the ducks pool. That didn't last long they were running in and out of the water and bringing in sand.... i may be removing the sand. They just raised the water prices again in town.
I have to pay for my water too as we are on city water. I have been giving my husband the duck water when I change it to water the garden to help. Sorry you are having issues. They carry food and everything else in their water, little buggers!!!

Can i use red lava rock around the pool or should i get something else?
I would think rocks would be hard on their feet and possibly give them bumble foot. I know some people have rock around their water though but I don't know if they have ever had to deal with it or not. I have never had an issue with it and that is why I stick to sand.

Last edited:
I have to pay for my water too as we are on city water. I have been giving my husband the duck water when I change it to water the garden to help. Sorry you are having issues. They carry food and everything else in their water, little buggers!!!
I have been using it for my garden to. Its really helped it grow. Just want to find a better way to clean it.

Thanks for the support everybody, it means a lot to me. Everyone hurt but he passed away surrounded by family that loved him very much.

On a somewhat happier note, I got a new drake/potential abuser yesterday. He had to be rehomed after getting too frisky with some chickens. He's an absolutely massive duck. I wrote a lengthier post in The Quack Shack if anyone is interested in reading more, but I'll drop a nice picture of Monster in here too. Stay tuned for abuse!

20230609_094712.jpg

Back
Top Bottom