Supposed to be a Gold-Laced Wyandotte hen, but has cockerel-like feathers???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by klcabe, Sep 13, 2013.

1. klcabe

klcabe Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2012
    Canton, NC
    I ordered a bunch of what were supposed to be female day-old chicks this spring from Mt Healthy. One (a SLW) ended up being a cockerel, but this one has me absolutely puzzled.

I have three GLW's. Two of them look like normal hens, but there's one that is larger and has hackle and saddle feathering like a cockerel. It doesn't have 'spur buds,' or a large comb like the one I know for sure is a cockerel, and my rooster doesn't bother it like he does the one I know for sure is a cockerel; he treats it just like the rest of the hens.

I thought if anyone could give me some insight, you guys could. Here are some photos I took last night:

The two normal GLW hens:

[​IMG][​IMG]

And the questionable one:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
  2. Aaisha

Aaisha Chillin' With My Peeps

hmm... i think you are correct there, that does look like a rooster, but i cant say for sure.

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    That is definitely a rooster. Most hatcheries only guarantee 90% accuracy on sexing (though most do better), so you are going to have the occasional mistake. Your other roo probably is not bothering him yet since the glw is still young.

4. dandrews1971

dandrews1971 Chillin' With My Peeps

Thats a cock. Saddle feathers coming in. Hackles all pointy too. Hes a good loking boy.
    Likely is subordinate to your other roo so thats why he doesnt challenge or bother him.

5. klcabe

klcabe Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2012
    Canton, NC
    Thanks. That was kind of my suspicion. I was just a little confused since he doesn't look like the SLW that is the same age and is definitely a cockerel (the GLW even has the big fluffy butt like the hens do! LoL), and why my rooster treats him just like the rest of the hens. My roo is constantly after the SLW. I'm going to have to separate them before too long, I'm afraid.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by