Surely, I'm not the only one....?

I can't stand them either, the games and the ohhh lets act like we are in middle school. it drives me nuts. and then you have the one person that thinks they HAVE to have the biggest and best present, and if they get outdone it is the end of the world. I used to make something special and personal for them and then people look down at you because you didn't buy it. so i stopped going a long time ago

I agree with everyone. Not to get off the beaten path since when did graduation parties get to be like mini wedding receptions? I mean I know I graduated back in the stone age but after graduation we all went back to the house and had cake and ice cream with the family, now graduations have to have big catered affairs, along with invites and etc. Another pet peeve of mine is the parents of kids selling stuff! I mean I know in this day and age it isn't safe to let kids go door to door, but come on the parent coming to work and passing the girl scout cookie sheet and it doesn't end at girl scout cookies it is for every event at school. I mean they got these kids selling everything to get stuff for school and then you have the parents who are your co-workers looking at you like some evil person if you don't buy. I am sorry if I hyjacked your thread-it just so reminded me of these things. I don't have any friends or relatives getting married or having babies anymore lol!

Quote:
Oh Yea, and they sell the dumbest, most expensive stuff, I mean I LOVE Pecan Clusters, but, I'm not paying $40 for an ounce, geez
he.gif

i think everything is way overdone now...look at little girls going to daddy daughter dances in a LIMO! girls spend more on their prom dresses than on wedding gowns. renting hotel rooms for parties in junior high.

celebrating is so wonderful, but it is the "Hollywood" has it attitude that is out of control. if such and such starlette has it, every 13 year old should.

less is more! everyone says i am a social butterfly, i love spending time with friends and family, BUT i don't feel i need to go to EVERYTHING all the time.

let's have that party at home depot, by the hot dog stand. no prep, no clean up and we could prolly get a few good sale items. do i need a semi-formal outfit for that???

My kids sell stuff all the time. But when I was working, we all had kids at different schools who sold different stuff. And in my experience, my co-workers were offended if I didn't ask them to look through it.

I don't allow my boys to wander the neighborhood, so what ticks me off is the school putting pressure on them to sell by offering cheap toys as a reward. I always throw the paperwork away and take them to the Dollar Store. Last year, the school promised a Magic Show & Exotic Animal Show to the kids that sold X number of items. Well, double that number for me. And the kids who didn't sell enough had to sit in the classroom for quiet time. NOT FAIR AT ALL! When you live in a small community, and 300 kids are all selling the same junk......you either buy it yourself, or pester your coworkers!!
tongue.png

count me in, I can't stand wedding and baby showers, and I don't care for the "group purchasing party" environment either - but I don't mind giving a gift or individually buying an item that interests me. It's the element of social pressure/expectations that makes me uncomfortable.

But then again I don't really like most forms of parties...

Harley's girl :

barnie.gif
I hate them............I did not even want to go to mine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
barnie.gif
barnie.gif

I too am happy for the person but seriously....who likes those corny games? :thun They bother me. Tell them you are camping for the week/weekend. Especially on the day.
wink.png

I feel the same way!! I tried so hard to get my MIL to give up on the shower idea. The more I went on about it the more stupid games and awful menu she made. I hunt and love to fix things. My MIL told me not to put tools on my gift registry. I didn't even want to be at my own wedding! I wanted to elope.​

I hate them, too. I didn't even think about having one, but my MIL had a very small one for me, so it wasn't too bad.
I don't like going to weddings either, so I didn't mail invitations to mine. It was word of mouth when we were getting married and anyone was welcome. I spent less than $100 (1978) on the wedding. I knew how hard my dad worked to make it and saw no reason to blow a bunch for a couple of hours.

Quote:
as an unsocial anti shower/wedding/bachlorette/home party person...those are some great ideas! i am in in a second!! hubby always tries to make me go to all of them.

(well not the hd singles mixer as husband might object, but great idea nonetheless)

I LOVE YOU ALL!

I despise showers, home parties such as jewelry parties, avon, tupperware, make-up and pretty much just about any party!!!!! I feel out of place, I hate trying to find a gift for someone--I hardly know-- that they will get 3 of the same gift and need to return the one I looked for, for weeks.. I hate small talk and would rather pull weeds in 90* temps from around okra and head high corn or shovel out pig pen!!

Back
Top Bottom