Surprise Chicken (with pics)

chichi56788

Songster
9 Years
May 2, 2010
Columbia, SC
Today is day 16. I went to candle and saw a silkie chick in my bator.
ep.gif
What do I do!!!!!! I have never had newborns before. And so early too. She seems fine but I dont know.
56148_0620001935.jpg

Last edited:
Keep the 'bator closed! You may actually have to pull the babies out on "lockdown" day, since they are so early - wait until day 18, pull them out & put them in the brooder, and set up the rest of hte eggs for lock down.

At least, that is what I would do. Make sure taht, when you open the bator, you are ready with a warm mister to keep the air as moist as possible.

Ok. The chick is walking around peeping and seems happy. I think that is a good thing. It seemed like a pretty clean hatch and she looks fully developed. Is it normal for them to hatch 5 days early?

I had the same thing happen with a bantam chick. I took it out right away and put it in a brooder. Left the rest to do what they have too. Remember they can go for 3 days w/o food so you've got 3 days after the hatch begins if they don't all hatch on day 21. Though you should be prepared to stick their little beaks in some sugar water to give them a boost..

Don't forget update pics

Rancher

Ok. She is still doing good, but she is knocking over all the other eggs. I still need to get those turned. Should I put her in a makeshift brooder?

lau.gif
Sounds like she is turning them for you!
As long as she is out by their day 18 I think you will be fine. Wait until your other pip hatches and gets fluffy, then you can rig up a small fish tank (or something) for them.

Well...Turns out she was on day 21. I just found out that they had been sat on by a broody before I got them.
gig.gif
It is starting to fluff up now.

Back
Top Bottom