Survey, how many chickens do you have? and have room for?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by redoak, Oct 16, 2008.

1. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    I'm curious how many chickens everyone has and how many they have room for. I currently have 12 chickens (8 hens and 4 roosters), with room for 22 chickens in my coop. Are most people under/over or at capacity? (Figured 4 sqft per chicken in the coop)

2. Colored Egg Farmer

Colored Egg Farmer Chicken overload

700 chickens... and a lot more room [​IMG]

3. momma's chickens

momma's chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    Idaho
    I am bare maximum for the number of chickens I have in the coop. However, I don't worry too much because they have a nice run, free range 8 hours a day and have a covered area from the weather. They are never contained in the coop.

4. hippichick

hippichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Branch, La
    Quote:OMG...700 chickens, seriously?? I have about 200 or so, and I though I had too many. I do have room for plenty more....but not 500 more.

Paula

Last edited: Oct 16, 2008
  5. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

i got a little more then my signature says,, and just turned a 8x12 bbq shack into a nursery,, im at max for what i have,, but that will change soon as i build MORE lol

6. Lobzi

Lobzi Chillin' With My Peeps

I have two and probably pen and coop room for 4. My yard where they free roam a good portion of the time, has room for many more.

7. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    10 chickens and room for lots more. I own 1 and my mom and her b/f own the rest. Wait till I move on the property my mom bought. *evil laugh*

8. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    I have 18 chickens, 6 ducks, 6 guineas and a coop big enough for 50.

9. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Right now, just 14 with room for about 30. However, turn the clock back 40 years and there was room for 3 or four barns of a a few thousand each. Never saw it with my own eyes though

10. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    Like the old saying goes "Dont count your chickens (and quail) eggs before they hatch* [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by