Survey, how many chickens do you have? and have room for?

I am at max. capacity with 18 chickens and the coop that I have. They free-range all day.
I desperately want more chickens - maybe even some that are not brahmas....DID I JUST SAY THAT?!?
ep.gif

I just can't put my SO thru another coop build with his bad shoulders. Nor will my independant little mind allow me to ask him to fund another build. None of the current farm buildings are suitable for chickens.
I do have a plan though.
As soon as my jeep is payed off in March 2010 I'm going to buy a pre-fabricated building and adapt it for chickens.
My SO took the last commercial chicken house on this farm down about three years ago. Probably a good thing or I'd be brainstorming on ways to adapt one of those.

Quote:
I added slowly - got 8 first and slowly got more, but they're happy now - and only now and then do I see feathers fly - I'd hate to get more and have them fighting or being uncomfortable.

I have about 70 I think, 2 ducks(anyone want a duck?) about a dozen guineas, 5 turkeys, 12 eggs under a broody, because I am tired of fighting with her so she can sit AGAIN. I have 3 coops, wood to build a couple more, and a couple of kids playhouses that can be Converted when thier not looking.
woot.gif

Quote:
You promised you'd put in a little cottage out back for me so I don't have to sleep on your couch. :mad:

I just got a 10 X 14 that is off limits to animals(and kids) it has the wood in it to make at least 2 more coops like my main one. there is plenty of room.

I think we have 57 chickens total with room for probably three times that many. Could fit quite a few more if we cut down some trees. I do have some that are caged for their own protection though (the Serama) so I really don't count them for taking up space. They will get out in shifts as soon as I get another pen put up for them. I feel sorry for them never getting to get out of their cages, but they are WAY too small to be out with the other chickens and can't be in an uncovered pen as we have too many hawks. They also have to get a bit more used to me before I'll let them out, don't want to have to stress them out chasing and cornering them to put them back in their cages everyday.

Anyway, I am straying off topic
duc.gif

Back
Top Bottom