Surviving Minnesota!

I had a delivery the other day from Speedy Delivery.  I asked the driver if they were delivering chicks this year. He said he had not delivered any.  

He gave me a number to call, I did, and they are taking chicks again!   The woman went out of her way to say they did not get special handling and had to ride in the back like all other packages.  I have no idea what that meant.  I never figured they would get a window sit in first class. I doubt I will use them this year as I really am trying to cut down on hatching.

If those darn PC's would just give me a dozen fertile eggs, I would shut down for the year.  I so want a few more PC chicks. The PC I got from EJB are unbelievable, they just refuse to make babies for me.

Candlelight, soft music, a nice massage... Lol

Candlelight, soft music, a nice massage... Lol

I have been neglectful in keeping their Brazilian waxes up. I think that is my fault, the few chicks I did get were right after I gave them their trims. The pen they are in is a little difficult to get to them in. I am moving them soon to a pen I can walk into, which will make giving them the wax job a lot easier.

Ed (the rooster) is kind of stoic, he does not like champagne or candle light, he considers it a waste of money and energy. He prefers a loud crow to soft music. Also he is such a gentleman he does not act like a normal rooster and take a hen whenever he wants. He waits for them to make the first move.

I typed up a whole thing on my phone, then it disappeared.
hmm.png
So, here I go again.

Quote:
Off of the job is a wonderful place to be - temporarily. The weather is suppose to be awesome. Go enjoy yourself.

I got Grand Champion Breeding Poultry and Grand Champion Senior Showmanship with my LF Blue Cochin Pullet!!
My red sex link pullet trio took 1st for their category.
My bantam black frizzle cochin cock took 1st for his category.

My eggs all got blues other then the one red. Angered me because the person who got grand and reserve did not have good eggs, they were not the same color of brown, or the same shape. Where mine were all uniform...

Also they have a premium sale, you don't actually sell your animal, but local businesses bid on them.
My JH volleyball coach was there for CHS nutrition, where she works, and she bid my chicken up to $425!!
I thanked her afterwards, I was so happy! Since some of the horses and sheep didn't even get that much!

Congratulations on all your ribbons! Good job. So what happens to the chicken if you don't let them go to the highest bidder? Do you take the hen home and the $$$ are donated to a specific organization?

Congratulations on all your ribbons! Good job.  So what happens to the chicken if you don't let them go to the highest bidder? Do you take the hen home and the $$$ are donated to a specific organization?

Businesses bid against each other. Highest bidder pays the money. You get to keep the animal no matter what. I think 7% goes to the extension service.
You send a thank you into the business thanking them for "buying" your animal.

You get the checks in the early fall.

Good morning Chickeners! Does it get any better than this? And to top off such a beautiful morning I 'get to do' laundry. My washer is, once more, working. A fuse needed to be replaced two weeks ago. So I unscrewed the tube they are in and successfully, easily, pulled one of two out of the ceramic casing. The second one gave me a problem. It was fused into the ceramic casing. So I pulled off the back of the washer. Then the top of the washer. Then I pulled out the ceramic fuse casing along with the wiring which was so obviously burned up. After that I broke the fuse out of its casing, bit-by-bit. Then I to begane calling for service on the machine because I would not begin to pretend to know how to wire in that fuse stuff.

FINALLY they showed up LATE (as I was about to walk out the door to go to a meeting and my DH was leaving for the weekend) to fix the machine. It took him, mmmmm, maybe twenty minutes to fix and hes wrapping up with the 'talk' of being done. I walk upstairs, where the washer and dryer are located, and there it sits in pieces still. We stack the dryer on the washer and although I was able to get the dryer off of the washer I knew I could not get it back on top of the washer. I inquired as to whether he was going to put the washer back together and he said he did not know how it goes together. I told him I would help him and then I would help lift the dryer up on top of the washer. This all took about 10 minutes and I am sure he was okay with it (IDC) as I tried to be joyfully happy. Ugh! Thats is really how I felt but strangers (thats funny - I do not think of chickeners as strangers) don't need to see me snarky.

I have my washer today. I 'get to do' laundry. LOL.

Quote:
Wow! So YOU get paid when the bid goes up - up - up. That is exciting. Do you save that $$$$ for college. Never mind. None of my business and I am just joking with you about the money anyway. I do think it is waaaayyyyy cool that they give an incentive to work and participate within the community. Although it does sound like you are very active at home, school and other activities.

Wow! So YOU get paid when the bid goes up - up - up. That is exciting. Do you save that $$$$ for college.  Never mind.  None of my business and I am just joking with you about the money anyway. I do think it is waaaayyyyy cool that they give an incentive to work and participate within the community. Although it does sound like you are very active at home, school and other activities.

I usually put 3/4 for college but this year I am spending it on a cochin breeding coop. That my dad agreed to help me with!

If you guys were to be building a breeding coop for one breed would you rather have cages lines on the wall that could fit up to 3 birds.
OR
A coop with larger separate pens that separate colors ot genders?

Back
Top Bottom